Pleading for the best options.

Username: Liptoger

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I have just bought a Pioneer recorder, thus disposing of my VCR and DVD player.The problem is that i can't seem to get true Dolby Digital or DTS when watching dvd's. The recorders settings are all on and i am not sure where i have gone wrong. I am also not sure of what needs to go into the TV's Media Centre and what goes into the receiver. Does anyone have an idea on the optimal settings for this type of setup? My components list follows. Any feedback would be graciously received. Thankyou.

Pioneer Plasma 50"
Pioneer DVD Recorder DVR-630H-S
Sony Receiver STR-DE685
Teac Set Top Box DV-B800

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 973
Try this

http://www.ce.org/connections_application/CEA_Connections_Guide_Final_v2.swf

Post Number: 2
Thanks so much Stof. I have connected via the guide and everything seems tip top. Only problem is my receiver doesn't seem to pick up the OPTICAL connection from the DVR but when i hook up my old DVD player via COAXIAL it works. The DVR doesn't have a COAXIAL connection so therefore i think i need a converter box to run the OPTICAL from the DVR and connect to the COAXIAL in the receiver.If you have any other options i'd love to hear them. Thanks again, my friend. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 977
I'm not sure about settins on that particular model of receiver, but make sure that the input for DVD connection on the receiver is configured for that particular Optical port. In other words it has to know that you are running your DVD output through that particular connection.

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 136
Yep, you'll need to run input assignment as Stof said to assign coaxial or optical for the input. FYI, you can get 1 of the converters like those shown here: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3 in case you'll ever need 1 in the future. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 137
Sorry for the bad link. Anyway, search for optical to coaxial or coaxial to optical if you want to see their pics and the info.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your help guys. I have spent time scouring many forums and have finally come up with the solution. Apparently on the receiver i have i need to assign the optical to Video 2(which is actually a 2nd function so i have to press 2 keys on remote to get it). It's an odd setup, i'd assume that the optical would still be connected to the DVD/LD setting but that just belongs to the coaxial. Thanks again for your help and i hope this info helps anyone else who has the same receiver as i have.Cheers :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us