Onkyo vs. Denon vs. Outlaw vs. Yamaha?

Username: Dontstealmyidea

Post Number: 1
My old Denon 2802 finally died on me after several attempts to ressurect it from the rubble of life. On a related note, I would reccommend being very weary if ever trying to get a component repaired @ United Radio in Syracuse (only licensed Denon repair nearby)

My question is this... I am in the market now for a new rx'er. I am looking to spend about 1k, but i can't seem to nail down which one I should get. I liked my denon, and onkyo also looks good, but i can't seem to find any lit anywhere comparing these models (onkyo 803, denon 3806, etc). also, is the outlaw 990 worth considering? it seems to be getting a lot of buzz. please help, because i am driving myself crazy combing through literature and finding nothing.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7891
The Outlaw is definitely worthy of considering over Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha. Separates if the way to go.

Of course you realize that the 990 is just a pre/pro as part of separate components, right?

Post Number: 2
yes, i do. I know outlaw has gotten good reviews and a few audiophile friends of mine have mentioned it... but i feel a bit of an allegiance to Denon or Onkyo (perhaps unfounded).

Thoughts on the Pros and Cons of each?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 166
As far as receivers go put me down for a Denon, easy set up, easy digtal connection configuation, and good sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7912
What speakers will you be using?

Post Number: 3
dynaudio Audience for surround and center channels, focus 140's for L and R

iVision 20HD projector

Gold Member

Post Number: 7918
I will definitely go with the Outlaw for those speakers. Personally I think the sound of Denon and that particular model is sterile and lifeless, but you may like it, you never know:-)

Separates have an advantage over a receiver. Separate power supplies and such, plus it just looks cooler:-)

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 908
I am looking to spend about 1k,

Separates for that amount?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7919
Well, he did put Outlaw in the equation, and he was aware that the 990 would need an amp.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 912
Sorry, I missed that part. Upload
Too bad there's not much going on with separates under 2K---correct me if I'm wrong.

Come to think of it, what's wrong with the Outlaw 970/7075 combo at $1400? There's only 7 X 75 watts, but that should be adequate for most setups I guess.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/970.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7075.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 7927
Absolutely nothing wrong with that combo...great price at that! Strong and honest 75 watts.Upload

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 913
Strong and honest 75 watts.

Unlike most 100 watt/chan receivers in full surround mode.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us