Putting it together - at last

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 32
Well, the basement is nearly done (2.5 years later). All painted (green), carpet next week then a final push to complete my home theater.

Do you have any tips (lessons learned) before final installation.

All the components have been purchased:

Sony VPLHS51
Denon 3806
Stewart Firehawk
Panasonic S77
Paradigm Monitors
HSU VTF3 MK2
Belden Cable
Canare Connectors

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 159
SO far ,so good. Give us a little more info, the size of the room, which Paradigm monitors, size of the screen, how far back are you mounting the projector?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Sure,

I have the general speaker locations already pre-wired with 12 ga. Component is pre-run to wall for gaming, and projector. HDMI is run to projector. Provisions for gaming PC.

Viewing wall/area is 10.5 ft wide, room is 32 ft long. (provisions for pool table behind theatre).92 inch screen, first row of seats at 10 ft, second row of seats at 14 ft, projector is ceiling mounted at 13 ft.

Because it is an odd shaped, non-symetrical viewing area/room speaker placement is not very flexible.

Two surrounds (mini-monitor) will be located at the wall-ceiling at 14ft. Two in-ceiling rears (AMS250's) at 18ft behind seating. Two towers and a centre in front, Sub will go where I need it.

I have just mounted the projector (home built - really rigid)and am terminating the component cables.

I still need bannana plugs for the speaker wire.

I need to buy/build surround mounts. (some design tips would help (I weld)).

Screen height and use (or not) of keystone adjustment tips.

Experiences / tips for universal remotes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Sure,

I have the general speaker locations already pre-wired with 12 ga. Component is pre-run to wall for gaming, and projector. HDMI is run to projector. Provisions for gaming PC.

Viewing wall/area is 10.5 ft wide, room is 32 ft long. (provisions for pool table behind theatre).92 inch screen, first row of seats at 10 ft, second row of seats at 14 ft, projector is ceiling mounted at 13 ft.

Because it is an odd shaped, non-symetrical viewing area/room speaker placement is not very flexible.

Two surrounds (mini-monitor) will be located at the wall-ceiling at 14ft. Two in-ceiling rears (AMS250's) at 18ft behind seating. Two towers and a centre in front, Sub will go where I need it.

I have just mounted the projector (home built - really rigid)and am terminating the component cables.

While all tips are god, here are a few requests.

I still need bannana plugs for the speaker wire. Tips on good ones.

I need to buy/build surround mounts. (some design tips would help (I weld)).

Optimal screen height and use (or not) of keystone adjustment tips.

Experiences / tips for universal remotes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Can I edit or delete messages?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 162
Hog you seem to have your act together pretty well. On mounting the mini monitors you may need to use shelves, I had to with studio 20,s because of the sub port on the back and the speaker connections would not allow for a bracket, I contacted Paradigm on this. When you say your location for these is the wall-ceiling do you mean right up to the ceiling? This is to high lower them about a foot from ceiling so you don't have the wall-ceiling coloring the sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Thanks for the reply.

On one wall (RHS) lowering the speaker would be no problem. On the other (LHS) there is only a bulkhead covering a duct that is 12 inches deep.

I expect people will be walking under the speaker so dropping it much lower wouldn't do.

I did build a recess in between the joists in the speaker mount area to provide better clearance all around.

I was planning to angle these mini monitors down, to a spot just in front of the seating area. This would point the port into the recess, and the speakers down away from the ceiling.

I haven't built the mounting brackets yet and as well as considering designs, I am looking at some that are available at my local hifi store.

How close is too close to a wall or ceiling?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us