Yeah.....another home theater set up plea!!!!!!!

Username: Htnewbie

Post Number: 1
OK, I suppose I have one of those piece of #$%@ HTiB systems as so many of you refer to, but it's what I could afford, so be it. Looks like there's a lot of us out there if this forum is any indication. Anyway, after I hooked everything up, I can only get audio through the receiver, not any of the other components. It's an Onkyo HT-S780, and I have it hooked up to a satellite receiver, a DVD player, and a VCR. I know I'm doing something wrong, but the users guide isn't showing me what (big surprise), and I can't seem to figure it out myself. Everything is hooked up with component cables for video and RCA cables for audio, and I THOUGHT it was hooked up properly. I've checked and rechecked and read the user guide from front to back and I'm verging on insanity right about now. The one good thing is the surround sound through the receiver is great! Now, if I could just get that same great sound with my DVD's, VHS tapes, satellite..................oh my......................!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 157
Joellyn I only curse people that have plasma TVs and HTIB pieces of #$%@.What do you mean when you say that "I can only get audio through the receiver". Are you talking about AM/FM?

Bronze Member
Username: Boyce

Post Number: 43
You mean you can get audio out (what audio? is radio or what else?) surround sound is great (how about front centre and sub, You don't get video,but have sound, or all mix up? more info please.

Post Number: 2
Many thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated! Anyway, yes the audio I'm getting is am/fm only, and all speakers seem to be working well including front center and sub. I'm not getting any audio from any of the other components I mentioned(I can't even get the startup screen with the DVD!) and of course, every user guide I have suggests hooking things up a different way, and I've tried them all to no avail. I've even tried other hookup suggestions I've found online although not many seem to include components in the same configurations I have. To make things worse the user guide for the Onkyo is extremely lacking in explaining how to use all my components through the receiver after I hook them up. What is it I need to do after I've plugged components in for the receiver to recognize them? I've been on the Onkyo site and they only give individual hookup diagrams for each component you want to add, not any configurations all together. Geez, I don't get why this has to be so hard. I really, really don't want to pay someone to do this for me, but I'm starting to feel I might have to. How frustrating! Well, if there's anything else you need to know, I'll tell you what I can. Thanks, again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
From DVD to receiver, what kind cable you use for audio (coax, optical or RCA), if coax or optical, did you set up the DVD digital out yet, and how about the receiver, it assign what type digital input yet. If you use RCA, can you plug it to the TV, and how it go, just try to step by step trouble shooting. If it work at TV, did you set up your receiver DVD input is analog not digital,please read manual p33, for the video, can you watch the screen from receiver itself, if yes, from receiver to TV, what kind the cable you use in there, single RCA (yellow), Svideo, or 3 RCA BL GN R , you have to use same type cable which you use at receiver to DVD and TV.

Post Number: 3
Well, I've been doing more research since my last post and I've found out that I'm using the wrong component cables, and that I need to use the same cables for the receiver, DVD and TV. I have a progressive scan DVD player, and if my info is correct those type of players must use a component cable connection. So after I get the right cables and rehook everything, I'll let you know if I've made any progress. I also found out that I have to disable the internal audio on my Sony monitor to get TV sound through the receiver so I'll do that too. I'm not sure what you mean about assigning digital input type to the receiver, if it's something I need to do, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction for info on doing that. Couldn't find it in my users manual. What about the satellite box?--it only works right now hooked up directly to the monitor--it didn't work through the receiver. It's too bad this all has to be so complicated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Systems ,download the manual from there, and on Page 33.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Boyce, I have the manual, but I thought that if I have a progressive scan DVD player I can only use the component cable connection type. If I understand correctly, then all the other components must hook up to the receiver the same way? I was about to go out to get the correct cables, so I would like to find out about this before I go to that expense.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 158
Joellyn try hooking up all your video connections directly to the TV. and all the audio connections to the receiver. Yes progressive scan will only work with component wires, or HDMI/DVI wires.

Post Number: 5
Eureka! Progress at last! After very careful perusment of the hookup diagrams in all the various (and many) component manuals involved, I figured out that my best connections would be S-video, so that's what I did and now I'm in business! Everythings working and the sound is great! Thanks for all your input and I apologize for sounding so clueless (I was!) This has been quite a learning experience, but ultimately worthwhile.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us