Simple question--What wiring to buy.

Username: Teamdefense

Post Number: 6
I'm not a techno-wizard. I need what I think is some simple advice. I'm about to purchase the ONKYO HT-S780 (7.1) and hook it up to a front projection Home Theatre setup in my basement. I'm pre-wiring before I put in the drywall, so I want to do the wiring right.

What type of wires should I use? Please use layman's terms! I need all suggestions--everything from the type of speaker-wire that I need to all other connections that will give me a good sound and picture, assuming that the projector will be run through the receiver.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Username: Nfminstaller

Post Number: 9
I think we'd need more information on what else you want to use. Please list ALL of the components, thier location (TV, Component Area, etc), etc.

Generically, If I don't know what my components are going to be, I'll run 4 RG59's (Composite, Component), a stereo cable (RCA), an RG6 (for coax), and a CAT5 (for ir control, antenna, etc) from the Component area to the TV. 16 guage cable is good enough for most speakers, and it's not too expensive as an in-wall cable. When you are running these cables, make sure you are running cables that are properly shielded and fire-rated to be in the wall. Also, avoid running them near any other cables (especially power cables).

Post Number: 7
I will have a front projector mounted from the ceiling with the TV signal coming from a Dish Network receiver, a DVD player, and 2 patio speakers (mounted outside) in addition to the surround system. Everthing will be run through the ONKYO 7.1 system receiver.

Essentially, I guess, what I need to know is what type of chords do I want to use to connect the projector unit, the DishNet receiver, and the dvd player to the receiver that will give me the best picture/sound quality for movie and tv viewing. You answered my speaker wire question. Thank you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Does the projector have component (RGB) inputs on it?

If so, run 4 RG59's (Three for component video out from reciver to video in on proj., one for composite out from rec. to proj.) and that should be all you need. If you think you'd ever get into an automated system or radio frequency remote control, run a CAT5 as well. The rest of the cabling can be done in the component area.

Bronze Member
Username: Boyce

Post Number: 28
Be careful when your guy put the cable/wire inside the wall, please make sure the cable is rate for FT4 (fire rated).

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7821
Here's some reading on cables and wires

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/cables.htm

Username: Soy_un_pendidor

Post Number: 1
Dude,

One thing you could do to help "futureproof" your system there is to put a junction box or something like that near your projector and one near your component stack and run a piece of string between them. Be sure to make sure there's going to be enough space behind your drywall, or buy some "conduit" tubing to run between the boxes.

THat way, if you need to run a new cable or something, you can pull it from one end to the other with the piece of string!

Just be sure to pull another piece of string along with the new cable so you can add more later, too!

"Just my nickel's worth of free advice..."

Gold Member

Post Number: 7841
Wouldn't a junction box ensure that your cables are visible and accesible? Why would you need a piece of string if the wires are already accessible?

Post Number: 2
Well, Bern, seeing on how our questioner Patrick Fagan appears to be unsure about the wires to use, the string idea will help him to pull a different cable if it worked out he forgot one or made a mistake, that's all. But this is just my second post and you have posted many more times than me, so I understand that means you're smarter than me. Sorry for bothering you and daring to have an idea that perhaps you didn't care for...

Groove on, dudes...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7867
Groove man...it was a legitimate question. Don't be so sensitive, geez, you come in here with some ideas meant to help out our members, that's cool, but this forum is about questions and answers.

All I wanted was for you to clarify, I didn't think it would bother you so much.

You came up with some answers, it just so happens that I had a question about your idea, why get all sarcastic and pissy, dude?

Post Number: 3
Wow, Bern, you must live here, a 10 minute response! That's fantastic!

And sincere apologies for sarcasm, Mr. Kettle...

;-)

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 36
Home Depot 12 gauge is inexpensive and rated for in-wall use.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
If you have long runs of component cables it may be a good idea to make your own cables.

I used Belden 1694 RG6U and Canare connectors. Even after buying the crimping tools, I probably saved a couple of hundred dollars at this quality level.

Post Number: 8
Is RG6U Component cable what I need?

What is the difference between this and RG59's?

I'm clueless!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
RG6 is a better cable than RG59.

I understand that it can transmit video signal frequencies cleaner than RG59.

Mid to high end pre-made cables are RG6.

I understand that rg59 is still OK for audio signals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
RG6 is a better cable than RG59.

I understand that it can transmit video signal frequencies cleaner than RG59.

Mid to high end pre-made cables are RG6.

I understand that rg59 is still OK for audio signals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
rg59 shouldnt be used for audio at all. In any RG class cable, there is a center conductor that is isolated from a shield (usually at 75 ohm impedance) which is designed for video. RG6 usually just offers a little better shield than RG59, which will result in a wider frequency (1000MHZ+ vs 900MHZ and less) that is required by some kinds of devices. Unless you're trying to pass a digital signal (for something like a cable modem) there is little to no difference between these two cables.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Please clarify, can RG6 cable be used for a subwoofer?

If not - why?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us