New LCD TV Connection to Onkyo Surround System Advise needed

Username: Wzb6k5

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Sony 50" LCD TV. It comes with many inputs directly in the back of the TV. I already have a Onkyo surround sound system. The TV's instructions indicate to connect all system components (DVD, VCR, DVR, etc) through the TV, then connect the TV's Digital Audio Out and the TV's analog audio out to the Onkyo system.

Is that the best approach, or should I connect all of the system components into Onkyo system and then from the outputs of the Onkyo into the inputs on the TV?

Thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7676
If you read the Onkyo manual, you will have another approach...argh...so many novel sized manuals! This is more a matter of convenience and a means to tie your system together in one easy to operate unit. It does tend to get complicated. Just follow the recommended set up and you will be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 148
My personal preference is to send all the video connections to the TV and all the audio connections to the receiver. The only problem with this set up is that you have to change the input on the receiver and the TV when switching between DVD and cable. If your receiver has all the right connections to accommodate HD signals (component or HDMI switching) you could run all your connections through the receiver and one set of component or HDMI wire to the TV. When you switch between DVD and cable on the receiver that signal would be displayed on the TV without having to change the input on the TV.

Username: Wzb6k5

Post Number: 2
Thanks. I tried to run everything through the TV then over through the receiver, but it did not work well. I have the TV connection via Digital Audio cable to the recevier. Also, I connected my Cable Box via HDMI to my TV but the picture quality became fuzzy. Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 149
You have the cable box connected to the TV with HDMI and digital cable from TV to the receiver. Do you get sound from to the receiver this way? I don't know why your picrure is fuzzy are you watching a HD channel. You should be sending the digital cable from the cable box directly to the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us