Speaker settings

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 81
Should all the speakers be set at the same decible level? Is the ideal level to have them all set at 0db or is it a matter of preference?

Then manuals give the range (0 to -12db) but don't metion anything about ideal settings.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 143
Speaker level should be set using a Radio Shack sound meter. Most people however have never heard of one of these things nor would they know what to do with one. Setting the speaker levels is the same as balance in stereo. Your set up should include how far you sit from each speaker so all sound arrives at the same time. Try setting the rears higher than the fronts and center.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7612
Although a sound meter is ideal, it is not an absolute necessity.

You can set it up by going through the sound set up menu when the noise is generated through the separate speakers.

Do not set up the rears higher than the fronts! The volume should be at the same levels through all your speakers when sitting at your normal listening position. This is what you try to achieve when setting up the speakers and this is what you are trying to achieve when using a sound meter. So setting the rears higher than the fronts will not be ideal.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 154
so the sound arrives at the same time...

I know what your trying to say, but that is wrong on about three different levels.

I think your confusing sync problems with decibel matching. The reason your using an SPL meter is because it is more accurate than your ears, and as Frank says, you want the same VOLUME coming from each speaker to the listeners perception during the test tones.

Of course an SPL cannot compensate for you if you're an artillery officer who hears better in his left ear than right now...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7650
Frank???

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 82
If the rears are smaller than the fronts, do you set the db a little higher to match the volumne output of the fronts?

Username: Nfminstaller

Post Number: 4
em69-The best (and probably easiest) way to do level your speakers is an SPL like the others have mentioned above. Once you have your rears adjusted to the same decible output, then it shouldn't matter what size they are. If you have a good ear then you could do this on your own, but most good surrounds will disperse the sound more than the fronts, so sometimes even good ears can be fooled.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 83
What would I need an SPL for if I am setting them to the same db level?? My receiver indicates the db levels when I do a set-up.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 14
what you are going to use the spl meter for is an accurate measurement of the sound pressure level of each speaker while the receiver sends it a test tone of either white or pink noise. Now our own ears can judge a relative degree of the volume, but the meter is the only accurate way to do it. Plus, using the meter will even out the volume a lot better if one rear speaker is a different distance away from your listening position.

How you do this is by placing the meter in your listening position, then running the receivers test tone set up. Using the volume controls on the receiver, set each speaker so it reads the same measurement on the meter, say 75 db.

Username: Nfminstaller

Post Number: 7
em69- the db levels on your reciever are not an indication of what the decible level is: they are relative decible incriments for you to make adjustments with. 0db doesn't mean 0db. It means Volume of Reciver + 0db = output to speaker. The speaker cable, distance, size, the speaker itself, the placement of the speaker, and anything in the room will affect the decible of the sound that reaches you. If the surround speakers are 3 ft below ear level and the fronts are at ear level, there will be about a 2db difference (on average). That's why you need an spl to tell you for sure what the decible is that actually reaches you.

Bronze Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 80
mr franks is absolutely CORRECT! I was trained and taught that way in my previous training.

An alternative to using a sound meter/spl meter if you have one of those auto caliberation systems in your receiver already like pioneer, yamaha and marantz to my understanding which automatically adjusts the SPL'S according to your room acoustics.

I remember the dbx 20/20 equalizer with it's automatic pink/white noise adjuster in the 80's.
I believe BEHRINGER has a processor that does type of measurement automatically. The radio shack or fry's method of getting a sound meter is a good idea if you're on a budget. But my opinion, if you want better readings, check out the behringer unit.
www.dakmart.com www.123dj.com musicians world and a few others carry these devices. I always go to specialty stores for such things.

The reason why pioneer came up with the MCACC is the very reason why you are asking this question and companies like them. Not everyone has access to audio engineers or hobbyiest to do the caliberations themselves, they are simply not technically knowledgeable enough.

If you don't have a sound meter or an spl meter, you can always can go by ear. Room environment/speaker placement is going to dictate how the sound is going to be disperssed.

This is the very reason why i prefer loudspeakers that have omnidirectional drivers which creates a 360 degree soundwave especially if HT surrounds is what you are dealing with.

Even if you have the proper balance of sound dispersion according to the standards, you might have to make adjustments based on your personal preference in how the sound reaches your ears.
The purpose of setting everything to zero or line level is so you can make adjustments based on the room's acoustics and how you want to tailor the sound. That's what equalizers do.
Anyway, many manufacturers and engineers are realizing this kind of need by consumers, that is why they are implementing them into their systems more often these days. Not like old multi channel receivers or stereo receivers which you would have to do so many things like getting equalizers and pink noise generators to do all sorts of test to adjust your system according to the room acoustics and speaker placements.
The HT world created more challenges, so they are coming out with built in processors to compensate for room environment issues.

Username: Punttheball

Post Number: 7
Hypothetically speaking then, if I have 25 ft of speaker wire ran to my rear speakers and 5 to my front speakers. Do my rears need to be set to a higher decible level for the effect of the surround to be felt?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 167
Guh? No...

Bronze Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 96
absolutely NOT! all the audiophiles here have said is to BALANCE the SPL. if you do not have a sound meter, you can get a THX DISC that they sell at audio/video stores, best buy, radio shack, wal mart or whatever and use that disc TO HELP YOU ADJUST YOUR ENTIRE HT SPEAKER SYSTEM. I bought one at walmart before. It is very useful for AVERAGE CONSUMERS. Sound meters/spectrum analyzers w/pink noise generator are for those who know what they are doing or have some training/education on such. Although sound meters are very basic, it has instructions on how to use it. The length of your speaker wire has nothing to do with volume. It may reduce quality of current passing thru if the wrong gauge and measurement is made but it doesn't determine room equalization and surround adjustments. I suggest you GET THE THX/5.1 OR 7.1 surround disc. Most good grade HT receivers have functions/instructions that allow you to make proper adjustments suitable for your particular room.
On a normal receiver, it usually says on the setting mode, SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE,regarding your room size, you adjust accordingly.

If fine tuning is such an issue to you, TAKE ALL THE PEOPLE'S HERE ADVICE by getting a sound meter at your local radio shack or go to an audio/video installer at your local high end or basic audio store, if you don't know any sound engineers.
Better yet, RESEARCH material by going online or bookstore. Sometimes a seasoned engineer will give advice on various audio/video magazines.

One of the main reason why all enthusiast advice you to balance your volume on each surrounds is that when the source is recorded in various video and audio tracks on a movie or music video, the sound levels are recorded in a balanced format and intended for the listener to hear all the aspects of the recording from direct/indirect sounds including ambience.
If too much sound pressure is being sent from the rear, if the recording has lots of echoing/delay,
you'd think you're inside a coke can or a tunnel, when the movie or music soundtrack wasn't intented to produce that effect. Why would you want to hear background levels more than the CENTER STAGE in a dvd concert? It's like going to a real concert and sitting way in the back, or better yet at the concession stands. You'd want your sound reproduction sounding as if you are in the front rows or center stage.
I hope you take the advice of the many contributors here. Most are avid audio enthusiast to audiophiles, some being professionals or even designers. There was one member that was introducing his newly built speaker design on another thread. You have owners of audio stores here too and electronic techs and sound engineers to your common consumer who knows very little to one who is knowledgeable and some experts at their fields. Various contributors here!

You might want to google CEDIA CERTIFICATION, it will lead you to information on audio/video installation and professional installers getting certification. Most high end professionals have this certification. The site has information on other sites that will lead you to tips on installation on A/V installs etc.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us