Floorboards in home theatre room

Username: Spasiba

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,
I am planning to convert a large storage area under my house to a dedicated home theatre room.
my question is whether placing floorboards in there will make a bad impact on accoustics?
i am planning on some sound panels on the walls.
The room is about 25 square meters and is L shaped
any other reccomendations in regards to accoustics would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Fabian

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 39
I'm pretty sure that wood is superior to concrete (or dirt) acoustically.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 915

http://www.goodwinshighend.com/roomdesi.htm

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 981
Wood floor is fine as long as you temper it with at least a rug in the middle so it is not entirely bare. Bare wood still reflects sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 97
Wood floors are not as detrimental to room acoustics as many would have you believe. In fact, almost every live performance or sound studio I have ever been in use wood floors.

Carpeted floors really do not offer much more sound absorbtion\diffusion because most carpets have a fairly short fiber length. Carpets with 3 or 4" fibers would work well but who wants that in their HT?

Since I was unable to use much acoustical treatment in our "His and Her Room", I chose to float and isolate the wood floor. This can be very labor intensive and add a great deal of cost to the project, but it can substantially improve the sound quality.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 984
Interesting. The recording studio's I've been too not only had carpet on the ground, they had it on the walls and selected panels on the ceiling. Live performance is different because stages are built to be multip-purpose and and that they can material that can look good and work for various types of performances.

Bronze Member
Username: Nfminstaller

Post Number: 15
You should make the entire room out of styrofoam with little spikey things on it. Think egg-crate style stapled to all of your walls and floor, it'll be AWESOME!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us