Help: HTIB setup and surround sound from HD cable

Bronze Member
Username: Pookieguy

Post Number: 17
I'm an idiot when it comes to A/V setups. Ask me to build you a super computer, and I'll do it in no time at all. lol

However, I'm still confused with a simple 5.1 setup and hope someone here can help.

I would appreciated it very much!

Here's what I've got...

I have a Samsung HLR4266 DLP TV with HDMI.
The new HTIB I got is one of the brand new Samsung models, the HT-Q70 found here:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HomeTheater/HomeTheaterSystem/HT_Q70TXAA.asp

This new kit has HDMI out and upconverting to 1080i. I got it because it is rear "wireless ready", had XM SAT support and best of all, has USB host functionality which I'll make use of by connecting an external hard drive full of MP3s.

What I'm confused about is HDMI and TV audio. To my knowledge, HDMI is the highest quality signal that will transfer both video and audio through one cable. However, this is only for DVD right?

My problem and question is regarding HD channels and audio from TV.

How do I get 5.1 surround sound through this HTIB from the TV?
Some HD channels are presented in 1080i with 5.1 sound. However, how do I get the 5.1 sound from the TV?

Right now, I have two standard RCA (stereo) cable for sound. I obviously don't get 5.1 sound like this and have a problem where the TV speakers are still working along with this new HTIB. I have to always mute the TV speaker to get stereo sound from only the HTIB and not from both.

My thinking is...
If I get a digital (optical) cable for audio, and enable DIGITAL IN on this HTIB, will this resolve the issue and give me 5.1 sound from Comcast HD channels?

I'm clueless at this point and any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
--
mike

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 889
"My thinking is...
If I get a digital (optical) cable for audio, and enable DIGITAL IN on this HTIB, will this resolve the issue and give me 5.1 sound from Comcast HD channels?"

The answer is yes. That assumes your Comcast box has optical out, of course. It may not be always 5.1 surround, but you should get some kind of audio from all channels, not just the HD ones.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
John,
Sorry, I did not mention the whole setup.

Right now, I have the Comcast cable feed hooked up to the TV and the TV has a CableCARD.

Will this resolve the whole issue with the TV speakers though? Right now, through standard RCA (stereo) hookup, both the TV and HTIB speakers are on when on AUX1.

thanks,
--
mike

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 890
Mike, there are people with some experience with cablecards than I. Unless somebody jumps in with better advice here's what I would do.

1. You can permanently turn off the TV's internal speakers by going into the TV's audio setup and enabling its "internal mute" feature.

2. I believe you have an optical out on the TV and an optical input on the HTIB. If so, I would try connecting those with optical cable.

3. If that is possible, then you should go back into the TV's audio setup and select Dolby Digital for the TV's optical output.

If we're good so far, then you should hear the sound from the TV in Dolby stereo or surround, depending on the specific channel. The only question I have here is whether the digital audio on the cable will work with the cablecard (instead of a regular cable box).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
John,

You're the man! :-)
Went to get a mid-range digital optical cable. Got very good surround now on HD channels. Can't believe what I was missing all this time while waiting for a decent HDMI HTIB.

Also,
Like you've stated, I enabled the internal mute on the TV. Solved that issue as well. Remote works for both, so that's a plus as well.

Now, I just have to wait to the SWA-3000 wirless module becomes available for rear wireless testing.

Anyways,
Thanks again for your help!

--
mike

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 894
You are very welcome Mike.
How's my super computer build coming along? :-)

And let me know how the wireless module works out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us