Need some help with connections

Username: Cdninus

Post Number: 1
Recently I bought a Samsung 50" DLP TV with a Zenith Home Theatre system and I have a combination VCR/DVD. I hooked everything up so that when I watch VCR/DVD's the sound comes through Zenith system.
My problem is that I can't seem to get the Zenith system to work with my TV. I would like to use the Zenith system if I watch just TV or VCR/DVD.
I've tried everything I know but just can't get it to work.
Can anyone help ?? I'm at the end of my rope !!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 139
Peter a little more info please, what Zenith system, does it have a built in DVD player, what DVD/VCR? Do you have a cable box? Digital connection are a wonderful thing one wire for all channels. Digital cable out of cable box to Zenith, digital cable out from DVD/VCR to reciver.

Post Number: 2
Sorry ...I was at work when I sent the original post. It's a Zenith home theatre ZHD-311 with a built in DVD and a Sylvania DVR90VF VCR/DVD combo . The Samsung TV is model HLR5067. I have a DVR cable box from Time Warner. The TV is connected to the cable box with am HDMI cable.
What do you mean by "digital cable" ??

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 141
Peter nice TV, thats where it all ends. The zenith is a very poorly built device. You have what looks like one L&R (red-white) in and one optical digital in and one cheap composite (yellow) video out. Niether the Time Warner cable box or sylvania have optical out. Your only choice is to send R&W audio cables from your cable box to the zenith and yellowout fom the zenith to the tv. Hook up sylvania directly to anther input on the tv. The truth is you have a nice TV so now get a real surround system and progressive scan DVD,and not some $120 HTYIB piece of garbage.

Wilson, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 3
I'll try your hook up suggestions tonight. I realize that the Zenith isn't the best in the world but it came free with the TV. I couldn't argue with the price. Can't afford to buy the best all the time ...at least not all at once. Thanks for your suggestions ...I'll let you know how it all works out.

Username: Rbhharris

Since February of this year I have been the satisfied owner of a Toshiba 56HM195 DLP TV.
I have just purchased the ONKYO HT-S870 Home theater system (HTIB).
I have the Satellite receiver and the DVD connected directly to the HDMI 1 and 2 inputs. It would seem logical to me that I could connect the Onkyo HT-R820THX receiver with the to the optical audio (digital audio out) out with a TOSlink cable and run any sound going through the set (from my DVD and the SAT receivers - one HD receiver and one SD receiver combined with a "TiVo" type recorder), shut off the built in speakers and enjoy merrily all sounds through the Receiver/Amplifier. Unfortunately this doesn't work. I can only get sound through the receiver/amplifier by connecting directly to the TV via analog cabling and the DVD (digitally through a coax cable). I'm quite sure I've got everything set up right. In that the connection with a ToSlink digital audio connection doesn't function directly from the SAT receiver either, it would seem that the Onkyo receiver (which has 3 digital audio inputs) isn't functioning (I did try a second Acoustical Research cable to no avail).
I've written to Toshiba -- they advised me to call a number and the technician on the other end was totally worthless. Haven't gotten replies from Onkyo either.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Bob Harris

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 145
Bob the optical out on your Toshiba TV is only going to put out a audio signal from the internal ATSC tuner or cable card. This connection is not going to pass other audio signals sent to the TV.Your HDMI connection will feed your TV sound and picture you need to connect digital audio wires from your Sat box and DVD player to the Onkyo reciver.

Wilson, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 4
Casey ...just wanted to let you know that everything is working now. The Zenith is not the best (I know) but it will have to do for now.

Thanks again for your help.

Username: Luke216

I have a JVC TH-R1 Home cinema dvd recorder, a sky plus box and an Hitatchi 42PD7200 plasma. Someone please tell me in simple terms how to connect up. I already have a monster component lead to connect the dvd to the tv. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us