Stumped: TV sound to surround speakers

Username: Joer67

Post Number: 2
Ok, I can NOT figure this out.

I have a TV with NO RCA's. (and no VCR).

I have a 4 channel RF Modulator that has one set of RCA Outputs as well as 3 sets of Inputs.

Receiver has TV Audio Inputs.

I've tried hooking up an RCA cable from the receiver TV Audio inputs to the RF Modulator Audio Outputs... and NO luck.

DVD player works fine through TV and 5.1 surround.
Playstation works fine through TV and 5.1 surround.

I CANNOT get the TV audio through the 5.1

Help?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7409
It's not going to happen Joe.

Username: Slickspoon

Post Number: 1
so what is needed to fix this problem because i have a simular dilemma.
i have an older tv with only a coax input. i have a r/f adaptor (just a single channel) and i have a dvd player that came with surround sound. i basically have a similar hook up.
-tv cable in the the r/f box
-cable out of r/f box to tv
-rca cable to form dvd player to r/f box

what do i need to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7779
Unfortunately the best thing to do is get a newer TV that has the ability to accept audio and video inputs and one that has audio and video outputs as well.

The problem is the unit themselves. They were not designed with what you want to do in mind.

Forget about your DVD player and your cable box. That is not the problem...you are trying to use it with a TV that cannot do what you want it to do.

Username: Slickspoon

Post Number: 2
alright then. i have read alot of problems with he surround sound not playing through the tv. when i go to purchase a new tv, what am i going to need the tv to have. will most newer tv's with the right jacks have the nessecery compatability to handle the surround sound or will i need to search for a certain feature?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7842
Look for certain features.
Go here:

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/ht/buyingtv.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Ayeshaslover

Durham, Nc Usa

Post Number: 12
check this out!!
if this tv is that old you probably dont have a prob with opening the cabinet right? just go into it and run a stripped end of an audio cable to the hot and ground speaker wires in the tv cabinet. if the tv has stereo speakers then even better. run two cables. if not the signal will be mono so use a Y adapter and connect the rca ends to your amp/receiver ins and blast away!!
you may need to cut a small notch into the tv cabinet so as not to pinch the cables.
post back how this works. i did it years ago.

Bronze Member
Username: Ayeshaslover

Durham, Nc Usa

Post Number: 13
when you buy a new tv, make sure it has an audio output, EVEN if its only a headphone jack!! beleive it or not, some chaeper ones do not.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8143
You really wouldn't want to use headphone outputs nor speaker outputs to connect to a receiver's RCA audio inputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us