Coax to RCA ???

Username: Tashah

Post Number: 1
I'm hooking up my subwoofer, and the house has been pre-wired with the subwoofer wire as raw coaxial cable (no ends). I went to radio shack thinking I can just slap two connecters that are female coax on one side and male RCA on the other (to plug into my Yamaha sub output, and into my sub itself).

I need to know how to do this, b/c when I stripped the coax to just the copper wire, and put it in and crimped, it just gives me a solid tone of bass. Do I need to preserve that silver fray around the wire? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...please help a novice! Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 851
Do this:

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/htfcrimpfplugct100cc.htm

Then screw on these to both ends:

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 34
the link gives good instructions using a lot of specialized equipment. Think to yourself, I can do all this with a good sharp knife and a lot of patience. Rat Shack will have standard "F" connectors for coax, but you need to check the cable and see if it is identifies as RG-59 or RG-6. Both are 75 ohm cable, but the RG-6 is slightly larger and required connectors specifically sized for it.

It is very critical that both the center conductor and the wire shield are connected. Think normal speaker wire, two conductors, + and -, each connected to a speaker. The sub needs the same thing, they just use coax to get the unamplified source signal to the sub's amplifier.

I know it seems like a lot of trouble to use standard F connectors on the coax and then a converter to change the F connector to a male RCA connector, but finding an RCA connector made for DIY installation on coax is difficult. Local suppliers just won't have them, catalog or web sites only.

So, you will need two "F" connectors for the coax, either for RG-59 or RG-6, and two female F to male RCA converters. The picture in the the previous post shows the F to RCA converter. When you get all this neat stuff, gold plated is preferable, but the nickel plated stuff will work just fine, it's just not as resistant to corrosion many years down the path. Follow the installation instructions on the back of the F connector pack and you should do fine.

good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us