Can the front speakers be ceiling mounted?

Username: Yiotta

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 10
I am finishing up a "guest house" on our property that we are going to live in for a few years while we rebuild the main house.
I have a nice sized media room that I am finishing, definitely not dumping thousands of dollars into this AV system though.
I pulled good speaker wire into the corners of the room, as well as one in the rear middle.
We purchased a beautiful but very large wood entertainment center, it fits on the front wall, but now there isn't room for floor speakers in the front (except the sub, of course)...
My question is, what would you recommend for front ceiling/wall mounted speakers? Don't break the bank...
The only decent speaker that I own is a nice JBL Northridge center, so I need another center and four ceiling mounted. It is a pretty good sized room and I would like some decent full sound....
I own a decent Yamaha AV (can't remember the specifics), but I need to buy another one for a separate home audio system (8 speakers throughout the house). My point is, that I can use this Yammy for the AV or buy another AV receiver that may or not be part of a complete package?
I hope I am not going to lose too much by not having floor speakers in the front...
Suggestions?

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 11
I can build some corner shelves to put them on....

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 12
What about the Klipsch Quintet II or III?
This may be just what I need....
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=42

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 840
the klipsch quintet is a decent speaker package for its size, but I would reccomend something else in their price range if you are serious about music.

Anthony Gallo acoustics and Orb Audio come to mind

www.roundsound.com
www.orbaudio.com

I know that there are some MartinLogan speakers that can be ceiling mounted, such as the Vignette. If you can afford these, they are amazing speakers that will wow you. But they are roughly $700 each.

http://www.martinlogan.com/vignette_speaker.html

The vignette is also a wall mount as well. They are amazing speakers for their price and purpose.

why are you set on on-walls and on-ceiling speakers?

granted, you can get decent performance (ML make amazing on wall as well as in wall speakers) but you won't get the performance of a speaker out in the room.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 841
any of the above mentioned speakers (especially MartinLogan) will blow your JBL away, so if you go that route, you would be better off replacing the whole thing.

Orb Audio is actually quite affordible.

and yes, the specs would be helpful on the reciever, especially the model number.

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 13
OK, I will get these specifics when I am home tonite.
The reason for the ceiling mounted speakers is room... my wood entertainment center is huge and covers the entire front wall, so there is just no room for floor speakers....

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 14
OK, the Yammie that I own is an HTR-5560.
What do you guys think of the Klipsch F-3 speaker set?
This has the Synergy Sub 12, a pair of F3 Floors, a pair of S3 bookshelves and the C3 center channel...
looks like a nice setup to me.

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 15
Actually, scratch those floor speakers, instead I would have to do bookshelfs up front and surrounds in back...
and I think I prefer the Reference Series:
RC-35: Center
RB-35: Bookshelf x 2 (front of room)
RS-35: Surround x 2 (rear of room)
RW12: Subwoofer.
That is what I am really considering buying....

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 849
the reference series is much better than the synergy , which I don't particularly care fot.

But, I wouldn't try to wall mount those speakers, as they need room to perform at their full potential.

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 16
I was thinking about putting the RB-35s on the top corners and the RC-35 on the middle of the entertainment center, cantered down to the seating area and then build some corner shelves for the RS-35s in the back corners.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us