Cannot use hdmi from cable box to receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Angelo

New york

Post Number: 11
I want to purchase the denon AVR-2807 receiver I was told by denon that the problem with hdmi decoding is not from their receiver but it is from cablevision scientific atlanta 8300hd dvr box. cablevision has not updated their software to decode hdmi via the air. I just called cablevisoin and they told me that they are aware of this problem and will fix it in the near future. cablevision had suggested to me to use component video and optical cables for now not to use hdmi. they will upgrade this problem in the next few months. I dont understand all of this why put out a product with hdmi if you cannot use it. now I have to go out and buy cables that I am not even going to use in the future. does anyone else have this or heard of this problem?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 879
Why not just bypass the receiver and go directly from the cable box via HDMI to the TV?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 880
Is the 2807 out yet?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 103
Time Warner when they first put out high def settop boxes wiyh DVI ut it was not active yet. For them it is better to put out the incomplete box now and update it later then to have to replace all the HD settop boxes.

Bronze Member
Username: Angelo

New york

Post Number: 13
yes it is out already but hard to find.
If I bypass the receiver there will not be any suround sound decoding from the TV at least thats what I think would happen

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 86
You can still use the receiver to run the audio and do the switching, but run the HDMI straight from the video receiver to the display.

Username: Rufusaz

Post Number: 1
I bought the Denon 2807 and was told by the sales rep that HDMI switching would work with the 8300hd. No go. I get blocked by the 8300hd and get this nasty image showing my HDMI port blocked. It also states that my TV does not support HDCP which I know is bogus. I can go straight to the TV via HDMI from the 8300HD. My cable company Cox has no idea what i'm talking about when I tell them my problem.

Anyway, I use HDMI switching for the DVD player and go out Component from the 8300hd to the receiver and out HDMI to the TV. It's not really what I wanted but oh well.

I have written both Denon and my cable company and have yet to get a response.

Username: Magic_csr

That never sleeps, Northeast United state

Post Number: 1
I would say something is wrong with the Denon products. You are the 3rd person with this problem. It suxs that Cox communication (a highly popular cable company) doesn't know what High-Bandwitdh Digital Content Protection is. I think maybe they need to train their Customer service reps in High Def like cablevision. Also, if you read the manual that came with the converter, it tells you what to do. I always instruct customers to go to their Scientific Atlanta manual. I know the HDMI cord works well with my 55 inch cable card ready television. I never received that message. I have heard customers receiving that message. The only reason I think they would receive that message is because they are using a tv with only a dvi port to a HDMI ready converter. They do have plugs in which the dvi is on one end and the HDMI is on the other end. We always tell customers that we do not support the dvi and hdmi connection. Because Hi definition is mostly broadcasted in analog (720p 1080i), your television or av set would have to be authorized by Intel to receive Hi-Bandwidth Digital Content in HD. This is why we don't ever support the HDMI/DVI connection. We have no way of knowing which television or av are authorized for this connection.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 88
I am not sure what content provider you work for, but you are as lost as Cox and all the others.

HDCP has been available for licensing for years and the protocol is designed to work with digital connections for content protection via DVI or HDMI. Cable and satellite companies have been dragging their feet so that MPEG4 video receivers can be released to deal with all the shortcomings of their MPEG2 receivers, including poor HDMI and HDCP implementation (if any) for HD material.

Reading the manuals can be helpful but they are known to be incorrect, as well. A perfect example is Directv's H10 receiver. The manual says the component out supports 480i, but it does not and only provides a 480p output.

The entire blame can not be placed on the content provides. Display mfg's are just as guilty of cutting corners and not informing the public of the possible issues when buying a DVI display to be used in conjunction with an HDMI component or that HDCP may be a future requirement for all HD content (720p, 1080i, or 1080p HD material).

Denon is one of the few companies out there that DO actually know what they are doing. The same can not be said about any of the content providers or their hardware.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 122
Magic I don't understand you point about DVI/HDMI connectors. DVI carries digital video, HDMI carries the same digital signal but also adds digital sound. DVI carries the same 720P/1080i signal that HDMI does without sound.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 123
Alexander: Cable box HDMI won't pass through the Denon but the DVD HDMI will. Try taking the HDMI out of the back of the DVD and put it into the cable box out see if you get a picture. If you do it could be a set up problem.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 89
Casey,

Technically, DVI does not pass the same signal as HDMI. HDMI is capable of higher bandwidth and passing higher color bit depth information. DVI is limited to 8 bit RGB and HDMI can pass 12 bit RGB signals. In some digital displays, HDMI can provide a better picture by reducing countouring artifacts because of this capability.

Username: Sharkydiver

Post Number: 2
The box I'm getting from cablevision (SA4200) only has a DVI connection. My tv has DVI and HDMI, if I run a DVI to HDMI cable, would I still need an audio cabble? Can I use my receiver for audio even if I connect the cable box straight to the tv?

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 128
Westcott you are technicaly correct but for our use here they do the same job one with digital sound one without.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 129
Chris you will stil need to run audio to your TV because the DVI out put on the cable box puts out no audio signal. Send a digital connection from the cable box to the reciever and you will have surround sound or sound from the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us