Home Theatre Set-up. Please help. New to this.

Username: Azuma

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,
Sorry for the trouble. I need some help on building a home threater for my apartment living room. I have been swayed a couple of ways by what you guys wrote. Although i just wish to have more of a certain answer.

What i wish to run ?
-Dj digital turntable ( something different from a cd player)
- Flat screen TV
- 5.1 soundsystem
- Amp.

What products have i chosen ?
- Technic SLDZ1200 cd player
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/technics/sldz1200
- TV is a sony flat screen
- 5.1 system - BOSE AM-10III
- Amp undecided.

This is where i need help, honestly iam completly new to home theatre setup but i want something that is mid-range price and good sound quality. I need a amp that can hook my tv and turntable up, so i can change signals between both whenever i wish to listen to music or watch tv. Also the speakers, so many people say BOSE isnt good, is there any other better alternatives, with good bass and good sound. Say bang & Olufsen. I dont really know speakers, but i have heard friends bose system (AM-10III) and i guess to untrained ears, they sound damn good.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Post Number: 2
Also forgot to add. Do i have this set-up completly wrong? do i need a amp? plus is there any really good wireless home theatre systems out there?
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 70
Only real way to decide is to "audition" a bunch of different speakers.

The biggest issue on here with Bose (espically acoustimass) is that for the $ you can get much better sounding speakers. Look at the price of the AM-10 and set that as your base line for what you want to spend on speakers. Listen to 5.1 setups that total that amount and if you like the way the AM-10 sounds then buy it, but at least give other speakers a real listen. Chances are you'll decide on something different. Here is a link for speaker options with prices you can compare to the AM-10 http://www.intellexual.net/speaker5.html

I don't know if a dj turntable hooks up to a receiver the same way that a cd or dvd player hooks up, if so then you probably don't need an additional amplifer. If your in an apartment chances are your not going to be going extremely loud so a regular receiver would be sufficient.

Check out Harmon Kardon or Denon receivers those are some decent receivers with plenty of power. Typically sony receivers don't acheive their stated power, while harmon kardon typically surpas their power rating (at least from what i've read)

Post Number: 3
Thanks alot for the reply chris, if possible could you please recommend a receiver. also sorry about the silly questions, is a receiver and a amplifer the same thing ?
Cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 71
An amplifier just supplies power. A receiver has the "tuner" to recieve am/fm stations, and does your component switching (dvd, tv, cd, ect.)

As for specific amplifier, sorry I don't really have anything I can offer up for advice. I would post the question in the reciever portion of home audio on this website

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 882
A lot will depend on your budget. Under $1500, I would look into Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and Outlaw. Over $1500 I would look into Rotel.

As for alternatives to Bose, I would look into Aperion, Orb or anthony Galo if looks are important as well.

For a subwoofer go with HSU

Username: Bradandres

Post Number: 2
Stof - How do the Orb speakers compare to the Bose Acoustimass 5s? Can you reccomend other alternatives for satellite/subwofer combos?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 884
If you excuse my bluntness my grandma's old gramaphone speakers will compare better with Accoustimass' tiny cubes, let alone most other speakers in the market. You may want to follow the thread on Bose Accoustimass in this same section to find out more.

Any of the ones that I mentioned would be a much better sound quality and cost less than Bose. I don't know the prices for Anthony Gallo's and have not heard them, but other members have and they liked them, besides they really look cool.

I would actually recommend against the combos. Yes they match well in terms of looks, (generally that shouldn't be an issue since the sub is hidden away anyway) but for the price and sound quality delivery it is hard to beat HSU for subwoofer performance. So I would recommend it even against say aperion's sub that comes with a 5.1 package, even though that's a pretty good sub as well.

Post Number: 4
what you guys reckon of bang & ofulson

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7199
Looks good...soundwise, I am not too impressed. But that's just me. Have you listened to them? That is the important thing.

Post Number: 5
yeah thanks for the great advice guys!!! .. really apperciate it.. i guess bose, is meh meh.. iam going to audition them when i get some time off work.. and let you guys know my selections!

Username: Meauxcream

Kaplan, Louisiana U.s.a.

Post Number: 1
I need a diagram to connect a hughs direct tv, tosheba dvd, rca suround sound,to a 51 in. sony hdtv.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7372
Way to go there newbie!
First post and you are already hijacking a thread!

Go here
http://www.ce.org/connections_application/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us