HDTV/Theatre system audio connections

Username: Mark_allison

Post Number: 1
Can anyone help me please??

I recently purchased a Sony Bravia LCD HDTV, no problem with it so far.

This week I purchased a Sony Home Cinema System, I connected all the speakers and ran the test tones and everything is fine. If I tune the reciever in to a radio station all the speakers are working fine and there is full volume, so far so good.

However, when I change the input to TV, I have to have the volume turned up to absolute maximum and there is still hardly any sound.

The connection I have between the TV and the theatre system receiver is an old cable with a red jack, and a white jack at ether end. This is connected to the audio out sockets on the TV, and the Video2 audio in sockets on the theatre system receiver, which I believe to be correct.

This cable though, was not supplied with either the TV or the Theatre system, it is an old cable that I have had for years and came with an old stereo, could this be the problem? Do I need to purchase a particular type of cable for the connection?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6790
Go here
http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny, thanks, but that didn't really help me. Am I using the wrong connections? The theatre system I have is a Sony HTSF-800M, 5.1 ch dolby surround sound, it didn't come with a DVD player as I already have a DVD recorder. For the audio connection to the receiver, should I be using red and white phono leads? If so, are the old one's that I am using likely to be the problem, or is it something else?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 796
Mark, your problem could be that the Bravias (and many TVs) are equipped with a variable/fixed audio output. If the output is set to "variable", then the audio output goes up and down with the volume control of the TV. If the output is set to "fixed", then the audio output stays the same regardless of the volume setting on the TV.

Consult your owners manual regarding the TV's R/L audio outputs and set that output for "fixed". With this setting, you can adjust the TV's internal speakers independently from the volume control on the home cinema system. Or you can turn off the TV's internal speakers and use the external audio system for 100% of the sound.

Your problem most likely does not rest with your patch cord, although it is a good idea to replace old used cheap cords with new and better ones.

Post Number: 3
Hi John, many thanks for the advice, I will check the TV's audio output when I get home tonight. Having said that though, I have tried turning off the TV speakers through the TV's menu, but the output through the home cinema system was the same as before, turned up to maximum but still very low volume output. Can you think of anything else that might be the cause of my problem? Or is there any other connection method that I could use?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 799
"I have tried turning off the TV speakers through the TV's menu, but the output through the home cinema system was the same as before"

Even so, for now turn the TV's volume level to max.

"Can you think of anything else that might be the cause of my problem?"

In your initial post, you left some details out, like the model number of the TV, and most importantly what source your TV signal is coming from. For example, most cable boxes have a volume level entirely independent of the TV's. Many people have their cable box's volume turned down and are clueless as to why they have to turn the TV volume up so high.

Post Number: 4
Bingo! I turned the TV volume up a bit and then switched the TV speakers off and I had plenty of volume through the receiver. I assumed that with the TV speakers off, the receiver would take over total control of all adio output, but obviously I had to have at least some volume set on the TV even though the TV speakers are turned off.

Many thanks for your help John, I was beginning to think that I had purchased a white elephant.

Cheers

Mark

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 807
You're welcome Mark.
By the way, nice TV.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts