HDMI & Digital Audio w/Dish HiDef and HDMI DVD

Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 1
Have any of you connected a HDMI DVD and HDMI Dish receiver to your TV and or receiver and had them both broadcast in HiDef? I think my TV only has on HDMI in...so I think I am screwed. I am looking to buy Onkyo HT-S780 and doubt it has 2 HDMI inputs then I could route thru it. Any suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 764
A HDMI switch is needed here. Most are $150 to $300.

Although not in stock until 3-30-06, this looks like a solution at a reasonable price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001 &p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2&style=

Or this

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?cat=VIDEOEQUIP&subcat=&prodClass=VASWCH&sea rch=0&off=0&baseItem=DVIAB%2D1

Username: Sush_dawg

Post Number: 4
Have you tried going to www.monster cable.

If you have DVI - yoo can do a HDMI to DVI cable
http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/video_cables//HDTV_digital.asp

I was told you can contact monster - they will custom make a cable for you like a splitter. So you can hook up 2 hdmi componets to the single hdmi input in you TV. Waiting for my house to be completed before I do this.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 145
I shudder to imagine the cost of a "custom made" cable by monster...

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 887
"I shudder to imagine the cost of a "custom made" cable by monster..."

I can see the monster elves licking their chops now...

Post Number: 6
Do you guys know of an alternative? Are there better cables than Monster - Tweeter in Dallas seems to say they are good - going by their recommendation.

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 9
Monster cables are crazy expensive and some swear by them...usually by the ones selling them or someone that bought them and have to justify the cost. Not to say they are not better cables than the RCA's I bought at Walmart for a third of the cost, but do they make a difference in the picture quality...don't think so. It's tough to tell the difference between component and HDMI in most cases, let alone between different brands of cable. Again, Monster's may be state of the art cables, but is there sufficient value. Not in my opinion.

Post Number: 7
I could see if its digital - But for speaker wires - sheilding etc - wouldn't that matter for higher end equipment - not that mine are up there. Just to get the most for your equipment what would be the "OK" cable to get?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 891
What DatCTP and Mark:
There have been many heated discussions about cables and wires on this and other forums. My feeling over many years is that given good construction, most interconnects work equally well. How one defines "good construction" and "equally well" is the basis for open question....but one's evaluation ultimately has to end with the preceived performance, according to one's eyes or ears.

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 10
Totally agree. Can't say that I have seen HDMI w/Monster cable and HDMI/any other brand side by side. Not sure that many others have either. Like I said. I have a hard time seeing a difference between component and HDMI - Not saying there is not...My eyes just seem to think they both look great, thus telling the difference between two cable brands and picture quality is really splitting hairs.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 892
Like "snake oil" remedies in medicine, if you believe in something strong enough, then there is a difference, even when there isn't any. I always laugh when somebody says they hear or see a "night and day" difference between two cables.

I look forward to the day when everything is digital. Then there won't be the hokus pokus that surrounds analog signal transmission we see today. Right?

Ri-i-i-i-i-ght

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 146
There is already that hocus pocus for digital... shielding from rf interference (on a light source)... so sayeth the radio shack clerk.

Now, having said that, "shielded" cables are sometimes thicker, and excessive bending (if that is how u r set up) can cause breakage in a TOSLINK, whether it be glass or plastic, so, thicker cabling will keep it together better. My personal remedy to that problem though is not to bend it more than absolutely necessary...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us