HDMI to TV - Fiber to Receiver problem

Anonymous

I's connecting a new DVD player using HDMI to my new TV. My TV has one Fiber-Audio Out going to my receiver. Why I am not getting a digital signal to my receiver? Only stereo. Samsung said I have to connect a Digital Coax directly from the DVD player to my receiver to get digital sound. I thought HDMI carried both audio and video to my TV then the Fiber could carry it to my receiver, right?
Does anybody have this working this way?
Thanks!

Username: Neilk2350

New york, NY United States

Post Number: 10
HDMI has 8 channels of sound. however because of HDCP there are about a million reasons your setup wont work. got optical sound and componant video read this also from the stb thread on avs:

As most of you know, I have long maintained that I could see no difference in the component vs. HDMI, and sometimes even felt that the component picture was better. Given the HDMI has had problems working consistently, it seemed that for now at least component was a good choice.

In the latest issue of TPV, they test a bunch of DVD players and find that in fact, component output on these players is superior to HDMI in almost all cases. Now, I know that the 8300HD is not a DVD player, but is there any reason to suspect that SA would provide a superior implementation of HDMI than many mid-level and top shelf DVD players?

Also, for me, these results have implications for the possibility that component connections may be turned off or downrezzed when the new hi def DVD players hit the market.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us