Upgrading surround sound system from 5.1 to 7.1

Username: Salman121

Post Number: 1
I have an existing 5.1 channel, "BOSE Acoustimass 15 Home Theatre System". It has 5 Direct/Reflecting cube speakers (UB-20) and a bass module (Sub woofer). All speaker wires go to the sub-woofer and then from sub-woofer, all wires go to the receiver.

I would like to upgrade this system to a 7.1 channel. To my understanding, there are two options that I can follow:

1) Just buy 2 new BOSE UB-20 Direct/Reflecting cube speakers or BOSE 161 speakers and hook them directly to the receiver (as my sub-woofer has only place for 5 speakers). What are the pros and cons for doing this?

2) Buy "BOSE Acoustimass 5 Series III Speaker System" which comes with a base module and 2 UB-20 Direct/Reflecting cube speakers which I can connect as Left back and right back speakers to make it 7.1 channel. This way, I will have two base modules. Is that recommended or not recommended?

I will highly appreciate any recommendations/suggestion.
Thank you,

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5739
Have you listened to any other speaker maker besides bose?

Adding more bose to your already existing bose system will not be an upgrade...merely an expansion of existing equipment. You will not experience better sound unless you do any "true research".

What other speaker manufacturers can you access or listen?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us