Hook up cable to surround sound without VCR/Cable Box

Username: Riskybusiness

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have many home theater systems hooked up throughout my house, all of which I've set up. I am now off to university and would like to take a system with me. However I will not have digital cable, and I dislike hooking up cable through a VCR (dead technology to me). So I was wondering how else I could hook up the Cable to my receiver to achieve surround sound. I have a Home Theater Computer however I really dont want to put that in the TV room! Any suggestions???

Bronze Member
Username: Mph

Post Number: 24
As you probably know, to get "true" digital surround sound from channels being broadcast in that formate, you must use either a optical or digital coax connection into the receiver. If you do not have a component with either of these outputs, thats only leaves a 2 channel RCA input into the reciever (say from tv audio out). This only simulates surround sound via a formate such as dolby pro logic, etc, from the receiver.

Post Number: 2
Yes I'm aware that wihtout a digital box I won't get a true surround sound, however in this case it isn't much of a concern. Essentially surround sound for cable will just be a plus seeing as the setup will also be used for video games, music and so forth. Now my TV does not have an audio out, how else can I hook up cable to a receiver via RCA. I don't want to have to use a VCR to change channels, I'd prefer to be able to do it straight through the TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Mph

Post Number: 28
I kinda figured you'd say that. I did some searching on the web and thissite. Two answers come up time and time again. Using a device called a demodulator. It's the same principle as an RF Modulator, only this box works in reverse.
Or your favorite, the good ol VCR for conversion.

This would be so much easier if you had a cable box or a t.v. with the audio out. But then we wouldn't get to have any fun.

Post Number: 3
:P It surely isn't going to be the best system out there, but for a university house I'm sure it'll do fine! Thanks for your help!

Username: Killmaster

Post Number: 1
yup I would like to know how to do this to...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us