What do I need?

Username: Freestone

Post Number: 1
First of all, I want to get this out of the way: I am an amateur in the subject of home theater.I currently bought a logitech z-5500 speaker system. It is great. But I want to hook everything up to it, ie dvd/vcr, tv, xbox, and want to have radio. I think I need a receiver, but included with the system is a little control center, which has all the necessary decoders and connects with the speakers and subwoofer. I don't know exactly how this forum works, but I need help! from someone who knows what they're talking about!

Bronze Member
Username: Mph

Post Number: 25
A little more information regarding the control centers inputs would be useful, but I'll take a stab at this one. If the control center has the inputs you wish to use, there is no reason you can't just use it. If it does not, you will need a receiver. Receivers have a variety of high quailty inputs for audio (optical and digital coax inputs). They can act as a "switch" for high resolution video sources if your tv has a limited number of inputs on it. Receivers have a built-in tuner for your radio needs as well. The increased number of inputs using a receiver allows for future upgrades if you might add components down the road.

Only you know if your control center has all of these options. If it does not, a receiver would be the way to go.

I hope this post helped you some in your decision making process. Feel free to post a reply or send and e-mail if you think I can help you further. Good luck!

Username: Dianalynn

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1
Hi there. I am getting ready to shop for what I hope can be a system for music AND my DVD collection. I have one thing I am trying to figure out receiver wise. I have noticed that "home theater" receiver models do not list "phono" jacks. I would like to have a turntable jack...(yep, I am a)nostalgic and b)like the sound of vinyl) but if the best "crossover" receiver is without one then I could get a turntable with a built in pre-amp...So, in my perfect world I would have a receiver with surround sound capability, a phono jack and a way to hook up my ipod through the system...again, if I had to I could use the apple air tunes for this but I'd rather be able to hard wire my ipod.
Just to be clear...I do NOT know what I'm doing. I have owned Onkyo, Kenwood and Denon in the past...mostly Infinity speakers. I am open to any and all suggestions. Would like to stay around 1,000 for the receiver. Any help with this would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5630
Look into the Pioneer Elite 72 txv. It has all the bells and whistles that you want and need. Including phono inputs and connectivity for your iPod.

Have fun in your search:-)

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2
Berny...Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have already looked it up...love the way you can zoom in on the rear panel and see it all...AND the XM satellite ready feature just pushed me over the edge. It is perfect for my needs. Can I ask one more question? Would you stick with one of the Pioneer systems for speakers and/or DVD? Or would you piece together some other way. I think that my listening is about 50/50 between music and film. I like the whole idea of the slim "front surround" product but I'm skeptical. I would say that I have a fairly good ear but no where near professional. I want quality but don't need the top of the line...Like, for example, the receiver you recommended fits me perfectly...both cost and features.
Mostly, I want full sound for the music...During different periods in my life I have used both two and four speaker configurations. What do you think?
Thank you again.
(And...this is fun!)

Username: Freestone

Post Number: 2
Hi Micheal. As for the amount of inputs, it is very limited. My one concern with buying a receiver is that I dont know if the speakers and subwoofer will connect to the receiver correctly. The speakers connect straight to the subwoofer with one cord to the control center. This is something I dont want to guess on, you know?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5644
Diana,
I tend like speakers manufactured by those companies who actually specializes in speakers. With that said, I will not recommend any speakers made by Pioneer. However the DVD players made by Pioneer are great.

Knowing your preferences, do you have a budget for speakers?

For a very modest budget I recommend these:

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/

Take your pick as they are very affordable and very good quality. If have used these products and I liked them. If you want the slim design, I would suggest the WS series.

You may want to experience the magic of surround sound so I would recommend going the full 5.1 configuration. Which may mean getting 1 center channel, 2 front speakers, 2 surrounding speakers for the rear and 1 subwoofer.

I don't see any benefits with 7.1, which means 8 speakers total. You can hold off on those if you want, but again that is entirely up to you.

Going with a surround configuration will immerse you in a nice "being there" experience, dependent of course on the media you are currently perusing:-) Specially with new offerings providing 5.1 sound, DVD audio, SACD etc.

For a little bit more you can check these out:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/hometheaters.html

I have used these as well and they are excellent.

And for more, I highly recommend these. Our new pride and joy...my wife bought these. She listened to them for a while and she just could not bear not getting them, she loves her audio...I am a very lucky man! The Cremona.

http://www.sonusfaber.com/

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 754
Diana as you seem to be new to the forum, you should be aware that you must start a new thread to get your own answers. A thread that Melodee started deserves its own attention.

Bronze Member
Username: Mph

Post Number: 27
Hi Mel. I was afraid of that with your logitech speakers. Those will not work well with a receiver as your logitech package sound as if it is setup like computer speakers. One speaker acts as the amp for the rest. If you want my honest opinion, you need to go with a receiver and a new speaker package. This is the best option for controlling all your current and future gear. I purchased my reciever from (www.etronics.com), good company and great prices. Speaker packages range in price (www.crutchfield.com) is an excellent company with great prices as well. You can also use price comparison search engines like (www.nextag.com) to compare sellers as well.

I went with a sony receiver and a speaker package from polk, the two ran me about $550.

Myself and other members of this site can recommend items and help you through the setup process if you decide to go this route.

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3
Oops...
Melodee, I apologize. I didn't realize that I was supposed to start a new thread. I will try to find out how to do that. In the mean time...do you mind if I finish up this conversation that Berney is so gracioiusly having with me?
And Berney...I am going to look up all those suggestions you gave me and see if I can find a store in the Portland area where I can give them a listen.
Thank you so much for your help. I was always told to spend the money in the speaker section of the set-up...so, if the receiver is 1200, I am thinking that I should spend about 3500 to 5000 on the 5.1 set-up. Does that sound about right. I am a lot like your wife however...if I hear something that sounds really superior to other offerings (and I will take several of my favorite recordings with me) then I will probably get it. I tend to select what I want before I look at the price tag...my grandma taught me that. She said if you selected solely on price you would always regret the item you didn't get and end up paying more money because someday you would go back and get the better one...therefore wasting the bucks you spent on the first mediocre item.
Thanks again, everyone and I'm sorry that I didn't know about the new thread thing. I had a tough time figuring out how to post at all!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5674
Diana,
That budget sounds about right, and the philosophy imparted by your grandma has great merit:-) My speakers are worth more than my electronics.

Be advised however, that the item I recommended like the Axiom speakers are internet deals only. The Athenas are available in Best Buy, very inexpensive considering your planned budget. I do not know if Sonus Faber is available in your area, my wife bought them in Italy and I never looked around where they are available in the US.

You may want to look in specialty shops in your area to get a better look at better speakers. Check out Martin Logans, Paradigm if it is available as well.

Have fun in your search!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5675
Sorry Stof,
I should have caught on to that.

Diana...look at the header of the forum you are entering. You shoudl see on top "Start New Thread" It is on the top gray area of the forum threads.

MyNameIsMelodee
Unregistered guest
Forgot my user and password. No, really you guys, stay, It doesn't bother me.

If I get a new player, would it affect the sound if I ran all audio through it?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 765
Melodee I took a look at that system and it looks like it has enough input for the devices you are mentioning. So in that sense you don't need a receiver (basically it has its own amplifier). Now as far as radio is concerned you can buy a tuner (which are usually pretty cheap) and hook it up.

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4
Hi Again,
Since Melodee was gracious enough to share her threaed...
Berney...what is your opinion of Klipsch Speakers? I have a pal that has a 5.1 set up of them in his basement...they sound pretty good but it is hard to compare quality in a basement. Whats's your opinion?

Thanks so much for all your help. My birthday is a little more than a week away and I'd like to give myself a present:-)

Cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 5967
Depends on the type of Klipsch speakers. I generally like the RF series but there are a lot of people that think they are very bright. BUt then again, this is why you should let your ears decide which ones you like.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5968
I started a thread for you by the way. Look for your name on the subject line.

MyNameIsMelodee
Unregistered guest
Thank you stof!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us