Fine Tuning the SS Question

Bronze Member
Username: Viiofix

New Haven, Ct. New Haven

Post Number: 20
Last evening the Grammy's were broadcasted in SS. Using my Onkyo HT-S780 I tried to achieve the proper settings to enjoy this but something was wrong. I heard the Accompanying sounds i.e audience, band, back-ground sounds through my SS speakers L/R & Back L/R Speakers but the sounds coming from the Fronts & Center were quiet. There was a set with Christina Aguellera & Herbie Handcock doing a song together. His piano playing was blasting through the above mentioned speakers but I couldn't hear Christina's singing at all.

Out Audio of the TV, I only have RED/White going into the Onkyo's Audio in Video2 Inputs. According to the Manual this is the way I'm suppose to hook it up but even listening to the SuperBowl, the SS was horrible. Should I be using an Optical Cable out of the TV instead ?

Username: Mph

Post Number: 5
Some TVs have a selection between fixed and variable output for their RED/WHITE audio outputs. Fixed, of course, means the output will remain the same. The Variable setting will adjust the output depending on the volume of the set. The higher you turn the volume on the set, the higher the output and volume will be to the receiver. I prefer to used the fixed setting if you must use the RED/WHITE ouputs on the telly.

You will not get true digital surround using the RED/WHITE. Just analog stereo with the receiver probly using Pro-Logic to "simulate" multi-channel surround. A digital coax or optical connection into the receiver will do much better.

Hope that helped. Good luck!

Bronze Member

New Haven, Ct. New Haven

Post Number: 21
Yeah it does help .. my set has just about every output & input you could want. I'm just not sure I'm using the Receiver the right way. I should say that my TV is the Toshiba 72MX195 DLP-RP. I have Optical Out and also an additional HDMI ouput. Which Would be better for watching HDTV in SS?

Username: Mph

Post Number: 9
You really only need the optical out since this only handles digital sound transfer. HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) carries both the high res. video and digital sound through a singal cable. You only need the audio portion.

If there is anything else I can help you with feel free to e-mail me.

Bronze Member

New Haven, Ct. New Haven

Post Number: 27
Sorry for the delay but all is great with my Receiver now. In re-reading the setup manual, I noticed that I interpreted Dolby Digital settings & DTS settings incorrectly. Now I pretty much have it down and everything sounds the way it is suppose to.

This whole experience has been a learning venture for me as well as everyone else here at one time. I know more about Surround Sound now than I ever thought possible just a few weeks ago, as well as HD Components and how they are connected.

Sadly, I've also learned that we are still waiting for technology to catch up with demand especially when it comes to recording HD, Surround Sound & 1080i on formats such as DVD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us