Help - 6.1 / 7.1 Speaker Wiring Location

Username: Sush_dawg

Post Number: 2
I am in the process of getting a new home built. Before the wiring etc goes in, would like some of the expert advice from the folks in this forum.

I already have the equipment which I used in a room that was sort of a media Room. What I need to know is where should my wiring go based on the equipment I have. Right now I have:

1. Yamaha RX-V650 REceiver
2. 2x Polk RTi8
3. 2x Polk Fx3 (rear)
4. Polk csi3 (center)
5. Polk PS303 (Sub)
6. Samsung DLP HLP5063
7. Samsung DVD Player DVDHD841

I intend having Dishnetwork with Hi-Def. I intend wiring for 7.1 but just have the above equipment till I can get the extra speakers.

There will be a niche/indent in the shorter wall for the TV till I can save up to get a proper entertainment center built.

What I like to know is based on the speakers I have, where should I place them in the room. Also where should I have the wiring for the other speakers for the future.

Its a room that is 17'8" x 16'8". Intend putting the niche on the shorter wall or I may extend that room by 3 ft ( makes the room 17'8 x 19' 8)to accomodate a niche. I could do with out this and maintain a straight wall - your input on this?

I would really appreciate your input and expertise in helping me get this set up. Would like to know the location and the height at which each speaker wiring should go and what kind of speakers would you recommend for the 7.1 (Floor standing or wall mounted)

I have a pair of each of JBL HLS 620 and 615, would this work to make the room 7.1 or should I save up and get some better speakers?

I've attached a sktech of the room if that may help.

This is a long messgae - hope to hear back.

Upload

Username: Mph

Post Number: 1
I'll do my best to give you some ideas. The center channel speaker can go above or below the TV, doesn't make much difference, which you choose. Don't mount your center on a wall behind your TV. or the sound will be coming from behind the screen (keep the front flush with the TV. front). The height between the tweeters of your center speaker should be no more that 12" higher or lower than the tweeters on your left/right front speakers. Usually the front right/left speakers should make a 45-degree V from your listening position (flush with TV. screen as center is). Your Right/Left surrounds will be directly to the right/left of your listening position (slightly above ear level). The two back surrounds will be behind your listening position. I prefer to mount these slightly higher than ear level. You don't want to aim the back surrounds right at your ears. You want to be able to hear the sound but not be able to pinpoint the exact location if you know what I'm saying.

The subwoofer can be placed just about anywhere as low tones are not directional. Placement by a wall or corner will increase bass if you wish. I have found it is better to use the speaker level inputs vs. the traditional RCA into the subwoofer. I have Polk too and the article is on their website and in the manual to the woofer.

Use good speaker wire and a decent size (say 14 ga.) to maintain signal over longer runs. Make sure your wires to each speaker are the same length even if this means leaving some extra on one. This ensures the signal has the same distance to travel when going to the pairs of different speakers.

You can use the JBL's if you wish but it would be better to match them with the Polk's for the best sound.

Keep the audio equipment close together as this will allow you to use shorter connections since high end cables can get expensive, just make sure you give you gear some room to "breathe".

There are many helpful articles at (www.crutchfield.com) and (www.polkaudio.com).

Hope this helped you some and you can e-mail me if you wish. Good luck!

Username: Sush_dawg

Post Number: 3
Thanks Michael

What I have designed based on your feedback as well at a site I found on this forum.

My only concern will be the left/right and the rear surrounds and the heights to place at. I was going to go for a 6ft height on the sides and rear - what do you think.

But as far as angles I found the following at https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/129023.html

1. Front - between 22-30 degrees each
2. Sides - directly at 90 degrees
3. Rear - 135-150 degrees

Only thing I heard is that THX wants the distance to be equally spread apart for the rear speakers - diatnce of wall to speaker 1= speaker1 to speaker 2 = speaker 2 to wall 2

Not sure which way to go - but I am planning on going on the suggestion of the forum.

I think I will wait and invest in another set of FX5's rather than use the JBL's.

Below is the diagram on how I intend placing my speakers to get the optimimum angles - just need to get the optimum height - which I may use your guidance.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us