E need help setting up new system

Username: Amandatanner

Post Number: 1
Hi. We just got a 50" plasma. It has a slot for a cable card. We have a digital cable box, a vcr, a sanyo dvd player/recorder, a TIVO, a yamaha reciever, and bose acoustimass 16 speakers. What we don't have is any clue how to set this up. I've heard that we have to keep the cable box because our tivo won't work with the cable card..... please, please tell me where to start. Step by step - I'm a teacher, but this is above me.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5357
http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 745
Thank God they came up with this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5372
no doubt
Upload

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys. I did my best, but my first connection says tv to av receiver.... audio, no inputs/outputs available.... video best component video. aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgh

Gold Member

Post Number: 5418
You receiver has no inputs?

Do you have the manual for these equipment?

Post Number: 3
The receiver has the following inputs:
3 Component Video Inputs & 1 Output, 3 S-Video Inputs & 2 Out, 4 Composite Inputs & 2 Out

Username: Jay_l

Quad Cities, Il

Post Number: 10
Do you have a High Definition cable box?

You have a Tivo so I need to know what you are using the Dvd recorder for?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 748
Amanad you generally don't need an audio from TV to receiver. Your audio should come from your source which is the Cable box, DVD, DVR, Satellite etc. In other words you want to bypass your TV in terms of audio and let your AVR handel audio. If you click on the Video button you will see the video connection.

Post Number: 4
i have the tivo, just got a dvd player and recorder combo as a gift

Post Number: 5
oops, i forgot... cable is digital, not hi def

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_l

Quad Cities, Il

Post Number: 11
Okay lets try this.

Cable from the wall to the coax input of your digital cable box.

Cable box Rca output (red,white,yellow) to the input of the Tivo unit. You should have a serial cable or Ir imetters that go to the cable box to change channels (refer to your Tivo manual).

Tivo rca output (yellow) to the plasma. Tivo rca output (red and white) to the Dtv/Cbl input on the yamaha. (Side note you also have whats called S-video on the Tivo output this is a upgraded video connection that you would use instead of the yellow rca connection.)

Vcr rca output to the dvd recorder input using rca (red,white,yellow). This will let you record your vcr tapes to dvd disc. You should have two inputs on your recorder labled one and two. Use input one.

Dvd player output using Component cables (Green, Red, Blue)to the plasma tv. Optical audio cable to the yamaha input labeled Dvd. (This is a single cord with a unique shape. You will find the input on the yamaha receiver on the far left if looking at the unit from behind)

Now you did not mention recording tv to the dvd recorder. If you would like to do this I recommend using the second output on the Tivo using Rca (red, white, yellow) to the second input of the dvd recorder.

To watch vcr tapes you will have to go to the input on your plasma that your pluged your dvd recorder into and then put select input one on your dvd recorder. This should let the vcr signal pass to the tv.

In the tivo manual it will explan how to transfer the shows you have recorded to the dvd recorder.

Your dvd recorder manual should explain how to view the input's. Input one should be vcr and input two should be the tivo.

This should cover the hook ups, however it is vital that you read your manuals on how to use the equipment. The manual is the best way to master a system.

Enjoy!

tanneramanda
Unregistered guest
Thanks to everyone who helped out, here's what I did:
Panasonic TH50PX500U Plasma and Denon AVR 486S Receiver
One cable to tv for cable card, audio out via r/w to receiver's tv ports
Tv optical audio out to receiver optical audio in
Cable to cable box, then to tivo with cable
Tivo to tv with s-video, to receiver with r/w cables to vcr port
Dvd/dvr to receiver with r/b/g component cables, digital coax audio
Receiver to tv with r/b/g component cables

Problems: no digital audio from tv, if I remove the r/w tv inputs from receiver, no sound at all from tv. Tv does not have digital coax audio out. Optical audio worked the first couple of hours, until I turned off receiver. Receiver inputs have been assigned, coax 1 to dvd player, and optical to tv.

How can I "sync" my controls so that when I want to switch to a dvd, my receiver will switch automatically?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us