Need help with $15000 system!!

sweetsetup
Unregistered guest
Since i moved out of my parents house, they are turning the basement into a movie theater. they will spend around $15000, and i'm hired to plan out what they need. My parents like to entertain, so the system will be used for a lot of loud music (music from Lynard Skynard and AC/DC to the Eagles and Steely Dan)It will also be used for a lot of movies as well. I'm not quite sure what direction to go...
They want a 7.1 setup and a front projector. I'm deciding whether to use bipolar rears...or if we should be getting seperate amp/preamp...
so what i need to know is:
who makes a very good versitile speaker setup for use with loud rock and soft rock and movies, and what kind of receiver (or seperates) is best, and whether or not i should be getting bipolar rears for the 7.1. $15000 is approx what they want to spend. My father owns an office furniture store so he gets the projector, screen and seating for fairly cheap. The $15000 includes all that, speakers, receiver, and wiring. Please help me out!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 728
What are the dimensions of the basement? How big of a screen do they plan? There are cheap projector, but not necessarily any good ones if you want good viewing.

Audio wise for that choice of listening in a party environement you can go a lot of different directions. I would not spend an aweful lot of money on really high end seperates and speakers.

sweetsetup
Unregistered guest
the basement is about...13" by 30". I'm not too sure how big of screen they plan on putting...as big as possible! I was thinking an HK Receiver with Paradigm signature S8s, C5, and ADPs. Do Paradigm and HK sound good together?

Silver Member

Post Number: 741
HK and Paradigms will do well and they are reasonably priced. Also get a good subwoofer like HSU STF-2 or STF-3 for partying and rock music.

You don't want the biggest screen you can get. You should measure your space and seating area and see what size gives you the best viewing area without being blocked off say by someone sitting in front of you. Then go out a get a good projector and mount in on the ceiling.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 680
You might find this interesting. By ditching the 2-channel amp and getting some discounts on the rest, maybe this will be well under $20K.

Ain't spending other people's money fun?

http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/25KRecommendedhometheater.php

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 62
My neighbor is also building a theater with a 13x18 room. With 13 feet he wants to use 6 foot wide screen about 80 inch diagnal.Two row of seating with an 8 inch rise.The paradigms sound great for the money. I like denon recievers ,the 4806 is a very good reciever but pricey, your room is long but not very wide the denon 3806 might be a good fit. In seperates look at Outlaw Audio. There are lots of good subs for under $1000 for that matter you could put two Outlaw Audio LFM1 in your system for a thousand. The sony VPL-HS51A Projector with HCS-W80 80" ChromaVue ScreenVPL-HS51AKIT sound like a god fit for you. Blue Ray, HD DVD is coming so I would not spend too much money on a DVD player right now the panasonic DVD-S77S is a nice player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 743
Nice setup John, though a little overkill for a 13x18 basement, especially the high end SVS sub and the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 28
From my research (not experience) if the room is suitable Dipole surrounds and rears would be preferrable.

I'm not sure if 30ft is too far to for the rears. In my 30ft room I'm using in ceiling rears over the pool table.

I understand dipoles need to be mounted on full walls (symetrically) for proper acoustics. Something about using the walls to disperse the sound.

Sounds like Casey is recommending my system, thats good - I haven't heard/seen it yet.

Make your own cables to save 1K.

Save a couple of thousand for satellite, a really good HD DVD player and maybe computer interface.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us