Will a new receiver help me have a better TH?

Bronze Member
Username: Highgear

CT. #1

Post Number: 18
First let me start by saying that I'm new to this forum. I look forward to learning more about home theater. I recently purchased a new Panasonic TH-42PX5OU HD plasma TV.
I have an older Onkyo SR-500 receiver in 5.1. I want to get the most out the surround and home theater experience. Everything is hooked up with Monster and AR cables. I'm using the HDMI for my HD sat. box. I plan on getting a upconverting DVD player.....maybe an OPPO DVD player when they come out with a HDMI connection next month. My main question is the reciever. I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-SR803. This will let me connect both DVD and HD box via HDMI. The room is 11'X 22". Do you guys think the the new receiver will make a big difference in the quality of surround? I'm not a real music listener but more of a movie watcher. Below is a pic of my speaker set-up.
Thanks in advance.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 731
You don't mention what speakers you are using and what if anything is the problem with the current sound. Is it not filling up the room? Do you think it is missing resolution? Are those your speakers next to the TV and a subwoofer on its left on the ground?

Bronze Member
Username: Highgear

CT. #1

Post Number: 19
The speakers I have are the ones that came with the Onkyo HT system. All the above are problems, resolution and how the speakers fill the room. The powered sub is to the right on the floor. The center is in the console. I think the sub is ok, plenty of low end base. I know the center is weak too.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 738
I'm not sure what speaker "comes" with that receiver. It seems like a normal seperate to me. Certainly that new Onkyo is more powerful if that's what you need. However if resolution and sound quality is your problem, then I would look into Marantz or Denon or Outlaw or something higher up like a Makintosh if your budget allows it. Then you can look into speaker sets for the room.

There are lots of options here. You need to set a budget and depending on where you leave you should visit some of the a/v stores (not big box like Best Buy or Circuit city) and listen. Buy what you like. There are also good used and refurbished items on the internet as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 69
I think what the guys are saying is that a new receiver is probably not going to make as drastic a sound improvement as speakers might.

A good subwoofer might be a good place to start. This can really help with the movie experience and really pick up the slack of smaller bookshelf speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5293
Agreed, better speakers are in order. The Onkyo speakers just won't cut it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us