Where to start with my planning

Anonymous

I am moving into a new home, and would appreciate any advise or suggestions. Working with 10ft ceilings & open and airy floorplan with tiled areas. The main living area where I want my surround/theater is about 18'x 30'

The house has speaker outlets in most rooms as well. The speaker outlets in the living area are back behind the main seating area for my theater by about 10' and about 8' up on the walls. Are these speaker positions ok with center and floor standing speakers up front?

Television is the Panasonic 42" Plasma, TH-42PD50U, I have an HDMI connection between this and the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR set top box.

It's been a while since I have bought a receiver, so I'm not very farmiliar with current specs. Is is possible to power my 5 speakers for my theater on one channel, then power some of the house speakers with another?
Any suggestions for receiver/speakers to fit my needs for under $1000 would be great.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 709
It would make absolutely no sense to drive 5 speakers on your HT from one channel. You will get zero sound disbursment to the 5 channels that comes with a good 5.1 recording. You may want to look at 2 or 3 zone receivers that have separate output for other speaker sets that can be sent to the other rooms and leaves the 5.1 or the 7.1 intact for your HT room.

8 and 10 feet are generally considered too far up, mostly you want the speaker at a little higher than your ear level. However with 2 little boys in the house I had no choice, but to put them up at around 9 feet. It sounds fine, but if you have the choice go lower

Get a good Persian rug for that living room so your sound doesn't bounce off.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us