Sharp dvd/vcr issue

Username: Grayskale

Post Number: 1
I'm having a bit of trouble getting dvd suround sound working. Anyone who has some input on what I've gotten wrong in my setup, please let me know.

Here's my current setup:

Sharp DVNC55 dvd/vcr (digital coax to receiver, RCA video to the TV)
Comcast DVR/HD cable box (optical audio to receiver, component video+rca audio to the TV)
Samsung 5067 DLP TV
Onkyo HTs580 HTIB (digital inputs from dvd (coax) and cable box (optical))

On the few TV chanels w/ 5.1 I get surround sound, but from the dvd player I get nada. I've checked the Onkyo and it has the dvd profile set up to look for the digital coax in. I'm guessing that there's a setting in the dvd player that will tell it which output to use, but after a good hour with the manual I can't find it. I can get audio and video from the dvd player with the good old RCA connectors (I'm currently running the RCA audio and video to the TV then the audio from the TV to the receiver as a stopgap measure, but that's all analog... blech).

Anyone know what the magic setting is for the dvd player?

thanks in advance

-grayskale

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 662
grayskale,
If I read your Sharp owner's manual correctly, you should follow procedure on the lower half of page 46, headed by SETTING THE DOLBY DIGITAL.

Set the DD line to "Bitstream", as the manual says to "use this setting [bitstream] for a digital connection of a receiver (amplifier) equipped with a Dolby Digital decoder.

Post Number: 2
That part I found. I have the compression off and the Dolby Digital setting is set to bitstream, but I still have no output from the dvd player:-(

Now that I look at it, something doesn't quite match up. I don't have a MPEG option below the D Digital option like the manual pics show... hmm...

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 671
Assuming you have said "Yes" to the menu DD line above "Setting the Dolby Digital", then it's time to re-check the setting on the Onkyo coax input.

With that done, it seems likely the Onkyo isn't recognising the digital audio signal from the DVD. Time to re-check the receiver's coax digital input from the DVD.

Post Number: 3
Hah...

OK, I'm not sure if I figured out why it works this way, but aparantly the digital audio out is only active if the video is being output over the SVideo port rather than the RCA. The good news is I finally got it all working.

Thanks for the help there John.

-grayskale

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 693
I don't quite understand why that is...but at least it's working now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us