"DVD player makes a difference"

Username: Edu_da_florida

Post Number: 3
OK. Now that I am closing in on my receiver and speakers package, one salesman - not in a white van - is trying to convince me I need to upgrade my DVD player. He said a better DVD player SOUNDS better. When I drill him to explain me why one player would sound better over another, I couldn't get a straight answer. Is this guy trying to take advantage of me, since I'm clearly a newby, or does he have a point?

BTW, my current player has progressive scan and optical and coaxial outputs, etc.
The receiver and speakers I want to get are: Yamaha rxv2600 and Axiom Epic Master 350.

Thanks.

Username: Jeffbender

Delray Beach, Fl USA

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony HT-DDW660 Home Theater System and a Sony HD ready TV. The HTS has only DVD and Video inputs. The DVD hooked directly, plays fine, but when I hook up my audio out on the TV to the Video input on the receiver, it does not play. Obviously I am missing something. Can you lend some help?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4705
Edu, I think he is trying to take advantage of you. You did pay $289 for cables! What DVD player are you currently using? Are you happy with it? If you are, just look at an upgrade at a later time. You will hear a difference in sound just because you are chanign your receiver and speaker set-up. Different, not necessarily better or worse, the interpretation is totally up to you.

I think your receiver and speaker choices are excellent.

Silver Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 110
A better DVD will only sound better if you are using the RCA pair audio output since it's likely that a better DVD will use a better D to A converter. If you are using digital coax or optical, then it's up to your receiver D/A. You will get no benefit from a "better" DVD player.

Anonymous

I agree with hank. But there is a difference in sound quality with some DVD players. I recently upgraded from my 4 year old JVC dvd player to a Hardon\Kardon one. And I noticed a difference, Channel separation was better, and i could hear sounds more of the background sounds in movies. And was still using same optical output and same receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us