Newbie setting up home theater dolby digital question

Username: Johnnyef

Post Number: 1
Hello, just joined the board. I have a few questions in regards to dolby digital surround sound. The receiver that I have was given to me by a friend. The reciever is an older yahama RX-V2092 7 channel dolby digital. I can't figure out how to get the receiver in dolby digital mode. The instructions say to select the option dolby digital/pro logic. When selecting that feature it always shows pro logic on the reciever and never goes to dolby digital mode. The dolby digital/pro logic option share the same button. What makes the reciever go into pro logic mode rather than dolby digital? Whats the difference between the two? I went through the instruction manual and set up everything according to number of speakers I am using. Currently I am using two main speakers, one center speaker, and one subwoofer. I am waiting to get the rear speakers in about a week. I have direct tv right now and tried every channel including HBO movies and the dolby digital mode does not come on. Also have another question regarding main or front speakers. Would the surround sound be more effective if I used two front speakers instead of two main speakers? Right now I have two main speakers hooked up and no front speakers. I can't afford both right now and wanted to know if the speakers would produce better surround sound hooked up to the main speaker output or front speaker output?
Any help would be appreciated.

Username: Kirby001

Post Number: 3
this all depends, as for the pro logic/dolby digital, the dolby digital is for an optical/coaxial cable, the pro logic mode is when you are using analog (red, white). when using analog for surround sound, its imitading it. its not actually true surround sound, its just stereo sound put into surround sound, if you want true surround sound then you would need an optical or coaxial. as for the main/front speaker issue, main speakers just means you are using more powerful speakers instead of you tv speakers, so you will want to change those speakers into front speakers in order to get the 5.1 surround sound/effect, hope this helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us