I want to get the best out of my system!

Username: Jschell

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a new TV and DVD player, and want to make sure I am getting the best video and audio out of everything that I have.

Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it is. I would imagine that using DVI for video and Optical for audio wherever possible would be optimal. Additionally, it seems that using the Pr/Pb/Y (vs. the yellow video connector) is better (or can that only be used to get HD content)? I've included pictures if that helps anyone. Thank you very much for any help.

CABLE BOX: http://www.jeffreyschell.com/DigitalCableBox.jpg

So, the cable comes in from the wall and into the cable box. The cable box has HDTV out as well as DVI out. It also has cable out. Which of those are necessary? It also has optical audio out and digital audio out? As well as the standard red/white RCA audio out.

RECEIVER: http://www.jeffreyschell.com/receiver.jpg

I want the audio from the cable box, dvd player, and xbox going through the receiver. As a backup for TV, audio could be channeled through the TV speakers as well. The recevier has PCM/Dolby/DTS in as well as the ability to take an optical audio in. Should I take both of these from the cable box? The receiver also has video connections as well. Should I use these for anything (VCR, xbox?) Are they inputs that come from a VCR for example? How is the video then transmit from the receiver to the TV?

TV: http://www.jeffreyschell.com/tv.jpg

The TV has inputs for two HD sources as well as the audio that goes with them. It also has AV in for two other components. For example I guess I could plug the VCR into one of those, however that would mean that I wouldn't be able to use my stereo speakers. It also has DVI in, which means that I could connect my digital cable box or DVD player directly to the TV. Since it only has one DVI input, which do I choose?

DVD Player: http://www.jeffreyschell.com/dvdplayer.jpg

The DVD player has an optical connection. I could use that to directly connect to one of the receiver's optical inputs. In that case I wouldn't need to worry about any of the 5.1 outputs it offers right? It also has DVI out which I could connect to the TV's DVI in. However there is only one input on the TV so I wouldn't be able to use the cable box's DVI output in that case. If I didn't use the DVI out, I could use the component out (Pr/Pb/Y) instead right?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 548
Are you able to get a cable HDTV TV card that you can plug to the back of your TV and bypass the cable box altogether?

You want to go the DVI route all the way, however you have two sources with DVI and only one input on the back of the TV. If you can get the TV cable card then you can plug the DVD into the DVI input and get the best connection for both.

The audio you can channel through the Optical connections in your receiver.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 551
Jeff,
Yes the component (Y/Pb/Pr) hookup is preferable to composite (yellow). Those lines will carry the standard Def channels as well as the HD signal.

You could get yourself a DVI switcher, but these things are relatively expensive for what may turn out to be a marginal improvement in picture quality. Furthermore, that DVI output on the cable box may not be operational. I have a similar Scientific Atlanta HD box with a dead DVI output, so component hookup is the only option for me. Just make sure your cable box's DVI out works before you waste money on connectors or switchers. Check with your cable company.

So to answer your other questions:
You should run the digital audio from the cable box into your receiver. Choose the coax or the optical--you don't need to use both.

My preference is to run all audio through the receiver, and turn off the TV speakers completely. But since your TV has analog (red/white) audio line inputs you can use those should you not want to use the external audio system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us