Help with setup.

Username: Jpatey

Post Number: 10
I recently purchased a Samsung 50 inch DLP and a Sony DAV-FX10 surround system. I had the cable boox running into component 1 and the DVD player into component 2. I just got the X-box 360 with the high def conection which i placed in component 2. When I tried the DVD player in any of the AV connectors the picture was split, this was solved by disabling the progressive scan on the DVD player but it caused the picture to be shown in black and white. What am I doing wrong and is my only option a HDMI cable for my cable box. Thanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 164
progressive is only available through componet and hdmi/dvi. www.monoprice.com check out some hdmi cables.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 542
John,
Cuyler is right. You can get a high quality HDMI cable through monoprice for cheap (I love this site--and good service too). This is only assuming your cable box's HDMI output is operational---and if it is, I would not hesitate using it. You would run the HDMI cable from the cable box directly into the TV's HDMI input. You should see a significant improvement in the picture quality by doing this.

However, disabling the progressive scan on your DVD player should not cause you to lose color on your display. You should see an acceptible picture via the S-Video out into the TV, with the video on interlace output.

But, if your cable box's HDMI output works, you can go back to the component output on the Sony and all will be well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the advice, the only reason I was staying away from the HDMI was price. The monster HDMI cable was about $120.00. I just wonder what was causing the picture to be shown in black and white. Is there any specific cable you would suggest?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 545
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023102 &p_id=2412&seq=1&format=2&style=

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks for the help, why such a huge price difference. Is Monster just a name?

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 167
mostly, yes, for analog cables you will see a difference between a $5 set and a monster $80 cable... different type of signal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Wow, I guess I will order one today. Thanks again for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us