Some questions to begin with.

Username: Therock003

Post Number: 1
Ok i love movies,tvshows and console gaming so i need to get some home theater accessories but first i have to get some things straight.

A)As for transfer video will it be better to transfer it digitally (dvi) or analogue (component).I have read something here saying that you got to make some tests and find that out yourself.

B)Since i'm going to use hdmi or component i need my computer to have an hdmi and component output.Which card has such outputs?

C)As far as sound goes.Once again should i prefer analogue or digital?Coaxial or optical?

D)As for the monitor TFT or Plasma?TFT have great resolutions like 1366x768 but plasma only 852x480.

E)Do cables matter?I mean will anything do or are there quality ones i shall reach out for?

I would really appreciate all your help cause i find myself in deep confusion.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 149
I know this is going to be another debate so I'll start this by saying that THIS IS MY OPINION FROM MY EXPERIENCE.

A.) Digital. (Whether you see it or not depends on how an@l retentive you are... I apparently am very... but i think if you are going to spend this much you should have it be the BEST it can)

B.) Good luck. I have yet to find a setup that works perfectly with a HTPC. I know they exist, try posting in the HTPC forum.

C.) Digital. I prefer coax because it keeps everything the same. But if you have to go a long distance optical is better at keeping the data integrity.

D.) Am I missing something with this question??? My plasma is 1366x768.... I think you are talking about HD vs ED. Well, I am biased. ESPECIALLY because you want to use a PC in the mix. HD is Higher resolution. The type of TV is ultimately your choice based on many decisions. Budget, purpose, and space.

E.) Yes cables matter. Most expensive doesn't always mean the best.

Post Number: 2
B)So what have you tried so far?

Personally i too am demanding.But so far i have only tried the tv-out feature of my laptop and have connected an s-video cable to my 29 inch lg flatron and as for audio i'm using my 5.1 hi-fi which i have connected to my laptops line in.Results are less than ok and i'm seeking perfect that's y i'm planning to take it to the next level.

D)You're right i wasn't specific,my bad.I meant as for price ranges.and specifically around 2000 euros you can achieve 1366x768 on tfts and 853x480 on plasma.At least here on Greece where i'm residing.You have an 1366x768 plasma?OMG you must have spent a fortune,i wish i could purchase one!

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 156
I have tried to find video drivers so that I can use the tv to play pc games. for regular windows xp usage i would worry about the start bar burning in.

it was 7000 USD. its all about what your video signal is. i'm not sure what video standards they have there.

standard video or high def... i dunno if pal or ntsc is different in resolution.....

if you are picky about your quality then do NOT compromise... you'll kick yourselff forever about it.

Post Number: 3
It's Pal-B.

Also i heard some very saddening thing about Plasma screens.That they can only last for 4 or 5 years maybe maximum.I wouldn't give so much many just to know that my tv will die!

I was advised to get either a projector or an LCD screen.But i don't know if an LCD will top plasma,I've seen a Plasma screen on a video store and the video movement was so realistic.

Also as far as graphics cards go,will i experience any quality loss using a dvi to component converter?

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 161
the number of years is different for everyone. 60,000 hours is average. SO... if you watch 24/7 you will max out at 7 years.

Projectors are not for regular tv and movie use. you will be replacing bulbs much more often. LCD is fine but you won't be able to get a very large display.

graphics card question.... yes. if you go from analog to digital you will loose something. will you notice???? maybe not... but you loose something every time you convert your video.

Post Number: 4
Well lets say i watch 7 hours it's like 20 years,which is good i spose.

So what model should i go for?1366x768 are like more than two times the money,and i have to get a job to get that much.I'm a college student so i don't have an income yet.Even at 2000 i have to save money for months.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 162
After the holiday season you will usually find some deals.

Post Number: 5
Since things here in Greece are pricey,do you know of any on'line store that i could get it from?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us