Help!-Limited Audio from Tv when certain Dvd's are being played!

Username: Themutilator

Post Number: 1
With Certain Dvd's I only get the Background Sound through the Tv Speakers usually I won't get the voice but I'll get the background music and whatnot.
It's really odd. I'll get all the sound through the Surround Sound but I like to have the Tv sound too.
I have Onkyo receiver, dvd player, Sony Wega Tv.
I understand that with certain Digital tracks the Tv won't have sound because there's no Optical cable leading to the tv, but seeing as there's some sound this isn't the case.

Post Number: 2
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 145
Make sure you have the movie set to the # of speakers you are using. It sounds like you are getting ONLY the L&R audio. Most of the vocals are in the center channel.

Post Number: 3
The Surround sound is fine...it's the Tv speakers.
When I mute the receiver, and it's just the tv speakers there's no voice.
and it's only with Certain Dvd's, it's not all the time.
Which is odd.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 148
no it isn't. try unplugging your center channel and listen to surround sound. it will be the same. you have to change the audio on the dvd player to 2ch Dolby if you wanna listen on your tv.

Post Number: 5
Damn you're right.
Now I'm confused.
Wouldn't I want 5.1 setting though for Surround?
Having the Tv have sound isn't as important as having Surround.
So is the reason it only does it with certain dvd's have to do with the way it's mixed?

Username: Jackasper

Olympia, Washington Usa

Post Number: 3
i am having the same exact problem with my set up. however, i am not using the tv for any sound. i have all six channels and optical cables and still i get the same result with certain dvd's....everything but voice.
harmon kardon avr and panasonic dvd...is it a compatability issue with the two not being configured properly for certain types of surround?

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 160
OK.... just pick a set of speakers. only use one. keep it simple. if you are using the wrong output then it won't sound right.

derek-
i'll bet your speakers are set to L&R and your dvd player is set to 5.1. press a DSP, Dolby, or some sort of a surround sound button. Sometimes these are called "direct", "digital", ummmmm i can't think of any other names for 'em.

Username: Jackasper

Olympia, Washington Usa

Post Number: 4
cuylar...
it only happens with certain movies. for instance, the latest matrix movie, it is fine most of the way through and then it jus stops playing voice in center and front speakers. i can barely hear it in the surround but something is definetely wrong. i have set everything up correctly and configured my recievers inputs for thier designated audio modes (analog/digital). but it is beyond me as to what it is. again, it is only on certain movies....thanks

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 168
then how warm is your dvd player getting. It could be overheating.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us