Upgrading Main/Centers Several options

Username: Taddy_porter

Post Number: 1
I'm due a $600 bonus at work so I plan on spending the money to start a long-overdue upgrade on my stereo system. $600 isn't really enough for a full-fledged receiver+5.1 speaker set up so I'm planning on starting with the main speakers and the center and then eventually replacing the sub & receivers and maybe the rears.

Here's my current setup:

JVC rx-6000v Receiver
AIWA TS-w60 SUB
Pioneer CS-M551 Mains (now 15 years old)
Wharfedale wh-2 rears
Generic KLH center
Mitsi 55inch High-Def CRT TV

I'm running an HTPC and outputting audio via SPDIF to the optical input on the JVC. The setup is home theatre only. Nothing else is of any concern. Obviously it all needs to be replaced at some point but I figured I'd get the biggest quality improving my spending my $600 on the mains + center and eventually upgrading the others as I get the money.

In looking at the options in my price range I've found the following and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on any of them or if there's some better speakers I should be considering.

Option 1:
Athena C.5 Center Speaker $70
Athena AS-F2 Main / Stereo Speaker $200
Or are the Updated F2.2 better than the AS-F2? They're the same price?
Total cost $470-would still have $$ to spend(or to put in saving for a reciever/sub)
Or I could get Athena WS60 LCR $199 which would put me right at $600
I also looked at Athena WS100 but they were $300 each which would be out of my price range

Option 2:
Klipsch SC-1 Center $200 or Klipsch SC.5 Center $150
Klipsch SF-1 Mains $179
This would be $508 to $558 depending on which center I chose

Option 3:
Phase Technology Teatro 7.5VDT Black $162 for mains
Phase Technology - Teatro 6.5 Black Center Channel Speaker $112.50
$436 - leaving money to spend

Option 4:
Swans SW4.1BC + Swans C2 center ~$700. Out of my price range but since Newegg gives 6 months financing on their CC I could pull this one off.

Option 5:
Polk Audio - CSI3 Black Center Channel Loudspeaker $199 (OR CS1-$179)
Polk Audio Monitor 50 Black $199 each
$600

Option 6:
Acoustech HT-75 Mains
Acoustech HT-65 Center
$500

Anybody want to chime in on which setup would give me the best sound? I'm also open to other suggestions. My only prerequisite is that the system be able to blow my buddy's BOSE set up away and not put me in the dog house with the wifey (hence the $600 budget)

Username: Taddy_porter

Post Number: 2
Sorry small error in post, option 1 has the wrong center channel. Should have read the AS-C1. I think I ruled out 3 of these based on reviews so this is the 3 I'm trying to compare:

Option 1:
Athena AS-C1 Center Speaker $99
Athena AS-F2 Main / Stereo Speaker $200
Or are the Updated F2.2 better than the AS-F2? They're the same price?
Total cost $490-would still have $$ to spend(or to put in saving for a reciever/sub)

Option 3:
Phase Technology Teatro 7.5VDT Black $162 for mains
Phase Technology - Teatro 6.5 Black Center Channel Speaker $112.50
$436 - leaving money to spend

Option 6:
Acoustech HT-75 Mains
Acoustech HT-65 Center
$500

Any recommendations?

xyzippy
Unregistered guest
how about option 7 -> go stick your head in the toilet and flush it a few times!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4461
I like Option 1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us