Why do I need the biggest, baddest receiver I can afford?

Username: Fresh

Post Number: 1
I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

I am upgrading my home theater and need a new receiver. In looking at features, one of the biggest seems to be connectivity to the TV.

Why do I need all these connections if the TV has the 2 connections I need? If all I am using is a HD cable box and a DVD, wouldn't I just run the video directly to the tv and run the audio via optical cable through the receiver?

What do I gain by running the video through the receiver? I don't see the point. Would I only do this if I did not have enough ports on the TV or if I wanted to upconvert to a better connection?

Which brings me to my question. If I don't need the connections, why should I pay for them?

I would pay up to $800 for a receiver, but I don't see what I get beyond extra connections and more power. And just because I would pay that I am not sure I should. For example, Harman Kardon has the 140, 240, 340 and 635 from $300-$600. Should I just get the most expensive assuming it is better and not use the connections?(I am a marketing departments dream)

So for a guy who just wants a good home theater and does not need the coolest system ever built that I can show off to my friends, what is a good receiver?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
freshd

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 206
"I am upgrading my home theater and need a new receiver. In looking at features, one of the biggest seems to be connectivity to the TV.

Why do I need all these connections if the TV has the 2 connections I need? If all I am using is a HD cable box and a DVD, wouldn't I just run the video directly to the tv and run the audio via optical cable through the receiver?"

Basically, it's there for convenience. But, you don't have to use them.

For instance, I have a Sony STR-DA4ES, but its video switcher is set off since I don't use it. I have this receiver because it is a good performer as an amplifier and a decoder.

"Which brings me to my question. If I don't need the connections, why should I pay for them?"

Good question. Unfortunately, a lot of better receivers come equipped with the capability to switch and, with some models, even upconvert video sources along with having good decoders and amplifiers.

"I would pay up to $800 for a receiver, but I don't see what I get beyond extra connections and more power. And just because I would pay that I am not sure I should. For example, Harman Kardon has the 140, 240, 340 and 635 from $300-$600. Should I just get the most expensive assuming it is better and not use the connections?(I am a marketing departments dream)"

You don't necessarily need the most expensive and highest end receiver to enjoy good performance. But, you also must realize that good performance doesn't come cheap.

However, your choice for a Harman/Kardon is good. Try the ones you've mentioned that are priced around the $300-$600 range and keep the one that meets your preferences.

Other possible choices: Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony ES (different from regular Sony), Pioneer, and Pioneer ELITE.

In regards to Pioneer, do not pick the lowest end model. Instead, try to get the higher end models from that brand.

One recommendation would be the Pioneer VSX-912K, provided that you can find any since it is a discontinued model (but also because of this status, new receivers of this model should sell at a very good price). - Reinhart

Username: Catskill

Tampa, FL USA!

Post Number: 3
i am dropping the receiver and using a logitec 5500 soon as it arrives... but my room is small so i am not worried... if i was maxing out in a large living room i would prob build from a receiver. the logitec (basically computer speakers... have a respectable 500 watts though)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us