Designing a Budget Home Theatre System: Thoughts Appreciated

Bronze Member
Username: 3k_fx

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 17
OK, so it's getting close to Christmas, and as a family Christmas present, my parents have talked about getting a home theatre surround sound system and HDTV. So I've set about the task of finding components and stuff for the system. I'm just wondering what everybodies thoughts are.

Front Mains - Cerwin Vega V-15F
Center - Cerwin Vega V-5C
Surrounds - Cerwin Vega V-5M

Reciever - Pioneer VSX 1015TX

DVD Player - Samsung DVD-HD850

TV - Samsung HLP4663W DLP projector

Now, one question I have is on the use/need of a subwoofer. Since the price of the system already racks up $2800 which I think my parents consider too expensive the way it is, will the two front mains produce enough bass response for a good HT experience? They're rated down to 26 Hz, but is that good, loud, and clean bass? Or should I try to find a powered subwoofer to go with the system?

I'm pretty set on the idea of Cerwin Vega speakers becuase of the many good things I've read about them, though, I could change my mind. I like the idea of loud, low, and clean sound from the system and for their price, they seem to be a pretty good buy for just that on a budget system.

The Pioneer reciever I'm also pretty set on. I've always had an affection for Pioneer products. From everything I've experienced and read, they have the best bang for the buck, even if they aren't the absolute best in class.

The DVD player and TV I'm not so sure about. The DVD player I choose becuase of it's support for upconversion to 720p and it's cheep price. I don't see the point in spending a lot on a DVD player when we already have one, and also BlueRay and HD DVD should be close to being released for true HDTV.

The TV I choose after comparing prices, size, projector technology, and reviews, however after that, I went searching for availablility, and it seems to be out of manufacture at the Samsung site, but plenty of internet dealers still have them in stock. Is the TV still supported, or should I be looking for an alternative?

Any thoughts for improvement or just comments are appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 28
I suggest to those on a limited budget to allocate more resources into their speakers. You will have them for a long time. Long after the TV and receiver are replaced.

Since you seem to be on a budget, I would suggest a more efficient speaker manufacturer to make your receiver go farther. I would maybe even suggest just getting the two mains and the center and waiting until you can affort matching rears and a quality subwoofer.

I think you may be happier with a flat panel technolgy or front projection instead of rear projection. Just too limited in viewing angle for consistent picture quality.

Here is a link to more information on DVD players. I think you will find a better DVD player than the one you are looking at on this site for the same amount of money.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 487
I don't think you will get many people on this forum to vouch for the Cerwin Vega. They are pretty much known as the party speakers, but not much quality to the sound. Have you heard them yourself.

As for the DVD player I would go with even a lower end Denon over the Samsung. Take a look at ubid.com. They have been selling some refurbished Denons the past few weeks. There are some high end models there as well.

Bronze Member

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 18
What speakers would you suggest be used? The Cerwin Vegas I believed would be plenty efficient at 103 db... Also, I have heard that they are good party speakers, but I've also read they are good quality too, what are your opinions on performance? What speakers would you suggest instead?

I'm not too big on the idea of staying with just front channel sound. The task my dad gave me was to find a system to buy that can built on a budget, has a large screen TV, and surround sound. Seeing as how the large screen TV and surround sound where things he specified, I'm trying to keep both in my plans. I know it's going to be difficult to do since our definition of a an expensive system is still lower than what many consider a budget system.

If I can do it, I'm trying to get my parents to allow me to build the sub for the system since I have read that you can save a lot of money for the same quality sub when you build one yourself. I know it's a complex process, but I'm hoping that between the hours of reading I've done and then help from people that have been there before on this forum, I can do it.

Flat panel TV's are too expensive. Also, the advantage of them being flat doesn't really matter since the TV is being placed under a stairway and a false wall be built around it to house the TV, mains, center channel, and all other hardware. Doesn't DLP projection have better viewing angle than the more expensive plasma or LCD? Which TV would you suggest I look at. I'm trying to keep the price under $1500, it should be at least 46", preferably 50" or greater (this is a new specification I got only a day or two ago), and the viewing angle should be very wide with little differenciation in color.

Lastly, the DVD player isn't really much of an issue, after talking some more with my parents, they don't think we need to upgrade our DVD player since it does have a digital coax out which can be sent to the reciever for surround sound. A DVD player upgrade will come at a later date more than likely.

I know I'm setting some hard criteria with the low price and higher performance I would like, but any more help is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 22
OK, my dad has just given me the go ahead on getting a home theater surround sound system. We don't have the money for the TV this year, so we'll be getting just the sound and we'll get the video at a later date.

The few things my dad did specify he wants is 7.1 audio, a powered subwoofer, and a reciever that has HDMI input and output (perferably upconversion to HDMI from any source). He didn't set a budget because he wants to see what I can build him and he'll evaluate if it's worth it, so we'll be working back and forth.

Initially, I'm looking at an amp like the Pioneer VSX-72TXV. It has 2 HDMI inputs, 1 output, plenty of analog inputs and outputs, 7.1 channel audio, and 130 watts per channel. My dad also likes the idea of the MCACC auto setup. I'm not set on any hardware, but I'm familiar with the Pioneer line, and I'm just using it as a reference. However, I think I'm pushing the line when I pick an amp that runs around $800, especially if we want to buy 7 speakers and a subwoofer.

I know that many people talk well about Denon and Yamaha amps and recievers. Do they have big advantages over Pioneer? Do the benifits justify the cost for a budget inclined system like we're building?

I would appreciate any help on selecting an amp.

Next, and more confusing for me, is the process of selecting speakers. I just haven't had enough different speakers to audition to have any real experience in knowing whats good and what's bad. I know that specs on paper don't mean a whole lot unless you know the quality. So, any help in selecting speakers would be a big help.

My dad was thinking that we could use his vintage CS-610 pioneers as the main two front speakers, and then buy more speakers for the surrounds and subwoofer. However, I did suggest to him that we get all new speakers becuase I've heard a lot about having a tonally matched set of speakers for best performance. So perferably I'd like a whole new set, but if budget problems make it hard to buy a good quality system, we could plan on upgrading later.

The only thing I'm really set on is a subwoofer. By all the browsing of the forums I've done and the reviews I've read, I'm pretty sure I'll convince my dad to go with an SVS sub. I don't know which one yet since I'll have to figure out what everything else is costing, but from everybody's opinions, there isn't really anybody better for the price.

As you can see, I need a lot of help, so anything you suggest is a big help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 507
Instead of the SVS take a look at the HSU STF-2.

I can't help you much with the speakers because it all depends on your budget and how much room you have etc., but take a look at some of these on-line places advertising on this forum such as Ascend, Axiom and Aperion and look through or ask them for their A-stock or B-stock speakers. You should be able to get something nice. Also start with a 5.1 and see how you like it. Don't go out and buy a whole 7.1 speaker system since nothing is recorded in that yet and you will find not all DVD's are even 5.1

Bronze Member

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 23
OK, I'll look into the HSU STF-2

What is everybody's thoughts on JBL speakers? I've actually heard the E90 series speakers, and they sound pretty good (compared to everything else on the Best Buy floor), but how do they handle in a room compared to Best Buy showfloor? Then, are the E100's any better? I've also seen the JBL ND310's online, and they are getting great reviews, but the specs don't look any better than the E100 even though they cost a little more. Are JBL speakers good quality for the price? The JBL line seems to me to be about the right price range for what we're willing to pay, but are they the best I can get for that price range?

Bronze Member

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 24
Another post up already... How does the HSU STF-2 compare to the SVS PB10-ISD. Both are 10", both are around the same price, but the SVS boasts just a slightly lower extention to around 18-20 Hz in room while the HSU hits F3 around 25 Hz. So is there a large quality difference in the subs? Is one better than the other?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us