Optical out on TV not working

Username: Chiefconcern

Post Number: 1
I have a Toshiba 42hpx95 hooked up to a Motorola HD cable box through an HDMI connection. The tv has an optical out that I am hooking into my onkyo htr-520 receiver. I also have my dvd player hooked up to my tv through the component inputs, the problem i'm having is I am getting no sound to my surround sound system. I hooked the cable box directly to the receiver and its fine, same with the dvd player. Any ideas from anyone.

thanks in advance,
CC

Nevermorh
Unregistered guest
Had this problem going into the HTR5990 as well. I spoke with a local mediacom market rep and he claims that the audio is not set up to go thru hdmi out of the motorola boxes. Which could be the case since not all manufactures are using hdmi to its potential.

Username: Chiefconcern

Post Number: 2
But I am hearing sound out of my tv speakers.

Username: Abrouns

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1
I can't get any info on the THINC Ethernet port in back. I might get this model vs. the 42hp95 because I want to wirelessly access my mp3's on my PC, through an on-screen type of guide. Have you experimented with this feature yet, or is there anything in the user manual? THANKS!!

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 18
Mike,

Running your audio signal from your cable box into your TV and then into your audio system doesn't make sense. Why would you want to run your high quality audio signal into a lower quality component (the TV) and then route the signal to your higher quality audio processor? The sound your hearing out of TV speakers is being down-mixed to 2 channels (stereo).
Here's a better solution:

1. Run your cable box optical out directly to your audio receiver.
2. Run the cable box's analog (red/white) outs to your TV (so you can still get stereo sound out of your TV speakers).

Actually, you might want to upgrade to an AV Receiver. Then, you can route both audio and video through your AVR first, and then to your displays.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us