Dolby Digital Help, Surround Sound, AMW

Unregistered guest
I have an AMW T365 5.1 reciever hooked up through a DirecTV Tivo. All the connections are hooked up correct as far as i know. i am using an optical cable from the cable box to the reciever. the problem is, no matter what i play, a 5.1 DVD, or 5.1 from the satellite, the rear speakers NEVER work. Nothing ever comes out of them. Something must not be set up correctly in the reciever and ive tried everything I know. Someone PLEASE help me.

Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 8
"I have an AMW T365 5.1 reciever hooked up through a DirecTV Tivo. All the connections are hooked up correct as far as i know. i am using an optical cable from the cable box to the reciever. the problem is, no matter what i play, a 5.1 DVD, or 5.1 from the satellite, the rear speakers NEVER work. Nothing ever comes out of them. Something must not be set up correctly in the reciever and ive tried everything I know. Someone PLEASE help me."

Try checking out the settings of both your receiver and DVD player. Make sure the digital outputs are set to allow for the desired signal output.

Some equipment has default settings which converts a 5.1 feed in Dolby Digital into a PCM 2.0 feed for compatibility purposes: a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal will not work with an outboard PCM DAC. You have to modify these settings to allow an unaltered signal to pass through when connected to a decoder that can deal with the digital surround formats.

Another thing to check is whether or not the receiver is set to output in stereo or surround. Sometimes, some receivers do it automatically depending on the signal. If the receiver is only picking up a downcoverted 2.0 signal instead of a 5.1 signal, it may assume that it is stereo only and will treat it as such unless you set it to work in Pro-Logic mode.

Consult with the instruction manuals, including the troubleshooting sections, of your equipment for more details. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
The feed coming from the cable box to the reciever is a digital feed. I can see when it is on that it is getting the DD signal because it says so. its not set to downmix the signal. the dvd player is a combo with the reciever so there is no connections. As far as I can tell I have adjusted everything I can on the reciever and it still nothing comes out over the sourround speakers. the SPDIF output is set at Raw. The options are "SPDIF Off", "SPDIF/Raw", "SPDIF/Pcm", and "manual". it is set on SPDIF/Raw.

There is a setting for Dynamic Range Compression under the Dolby Digital Setup. It is on Off, and it wont let me change it. If I change it to full or 1/2, or anything, it jsut reverts back to OFF.

Under the 3D processing config, there is Pro Logic Ii and it is set to Auto. And mode is set to Auto ( i have tried adjusting this, no fix).

The manual for this reciever is useless and there doesnt seem to be any text support since it isnt a name brand product.

So now what?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
This was taken verbatim from the AMW website:
www.a-mw.com

------

Q: Why am I only hearing sounds coming out of the front two speakers and the subwoofer when I'm playing a DVD movie?

A: Please turn OFF the power on the DVD player by pressing the POWER button on the remote control.

Make Sure the white strap of the speaker wires go to the RED input jack ports on the back of the DVD player and the speakers, and the black strap of the speaker wires inserted into the BLACK ports on the back of the DVD player and the speakers.

NOTE: Make sure you are stil able to see a little bit of the metal part of the speaker wire when inserted into the input jack port to get a solid connection between the wire and the input jack port.

Turn ON the power of the DVD player by pressing the POWER button on the remote control.
Turn ON your TV.

Next, make sure there is no disc inside the DVD player. Then wait until you see "NO DISC" on the tv screen or on the LCD screen of the DVD player, and proceed with the following steps:

Press SETUP on the remote control.

Press Right arrow 3 times to the "preference page".

Press Down arrow until "default" is highlighted.

Press Right arrow to highlight "reset" (make the RESET button RED)

Press ENTER button.

You should now return back to the blue screen.

Press SETUP on the remote control again.

Press Right arrow once to the "Audio Setup Page".

Press Down arrow once and highlight "Speaker Setup".

Press ENTER button.

Press Down arrow to highlight "Test Tone".

Press Right arrow once.

Press Up arrow once.

The "ON" button should be highlighted (making the ON button RED).

Press ENTER button

Listen closely to all speakers and make sure you get sounds from all speakers.

Press SETUP button again to exit the Test Tone, once the sounds start to repeat from the speakers.

If you hear sounds from all speakers, the problem is solved.

-------

Another suggestion may be to take the AMW set you have back to the place of purchase for an exchange or a refund. If deciding on a refund, consider an HTIB from a more established brand, such as Onkyo. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
The resetting seemed to fix it. Thanks Reinhart. I've been trying to get this working for over a month now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
You're welcome. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I also have a AMW T365 - everything works except the picture is in black and white. I tried both the RCA as well as S-Video connections, but it is still in black and white.

Any suggestions ?

Username: Monk1304

Post Number: 1
Hi,
Could you pls tell me know why my DVD player AMW T365 could not read DVD disk ? I tried reset factory defauld but still does not read. Can you pls help me and send to me a solution ? Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us