Convert S/PDIF to three 3.5mm stereo jacks?

Dr_Diablo
Unregistered guest
Hi...

I really don't know much about surround sound, so I'm asking you guys. I've got an old set of Logitech Z640s (5.1 speakers, input via three 3.5mm electrical stereo jacks) and a comparatively new DVD player, which only outputs surround sound as an S/PDIF coaxial signal. Can I get some kind of converter to go in between them or will I have to buy a completely new set of speakers?

If it helps, I've got an Xbox-surround-sound converter block which takes two RCA jacks in from the console and outputs 4-channel surround via two 3.5mm audio jacks. It came with the Z640s and works wonderfully.

Sorry if this question's already been asked, but I couldn't see it in the list...

Thanks for your help!

hills
Unregistered guest
i have exactly the same problem.

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
"I really don't know much about surround sound, so I'm asking you guys. I've got an old set of Logitech Z640s (5.1 speakers, input via three 3.5mm electrical stereo jacks) and a comparatively new DVD player, which only outputs surround sound as an S/PDIF coaxial signal. Can I get some kind of converter to go in between them or will I have to buy a completely new set of speakers?"

As you may know, the 5.1 surround speakers for your computer typically have their audio feed provided entirely by the sound card, like the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy series.

For your particular case, you'll need an outboard decoder to deal with decoding the Dolby Digital or DTS signal. Then, on the multichannel outputs, you could use RCA-to-1/8 inch headphone adapter cables available at RadioShack to provide the feed to your Logitech speakers.

The cables should be easy to find. The decoder, on the other hand, might be the hard part. The only economical outboard decoder for your option may be something like the Technics SH-AC500D. This is an outboard decoder that can deal with Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic, and stereo PCM. But, this decoder is no longer made and can be relatively hard to find. Ebay is one potential source. But, also remember that this model does come with a remote control.

There is a lower end model in the same line from Technics, the SH-AC300D, but that decoder lacks DTS support.

You can opt for a preamp/decoder combo, but these are typically made for outboard amps and can be expensive.

Another option would be to find a digital surround receiver that has 5.1 preamp outputs, but there aren't many inexpensive receivers that have preamp outputs. Plus, if you buy a receiver, you may as well go ahead and try to invest in a good set of speakers and enjoy surround sound in a manner superior to what your Logitech speakers can provide.

Good luck. - Reinhart

Colm
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem, looks like the only viable option is the new decoder from Creative: Creative Labs DDTS-100 Digital Decoder
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us