Surround, and cables, and plugs, oh my!

Username: Paddler

Post Number: 1
I have a new DirecTV DVR, an Emerson DVD recorder (EWR20V5 also new), and an Optimus STAV-3450 Tuner/Amp(a few years old)that will decode Dolby Pro-Logic Surround. For the sound connection, the DVR uses an optical cable, the DVD uses a coax. cable, and the Amp uses RCA plugs. How do I get the signal from the DVR thru the DVD player to the decoder in the tuner so I can use the surround sound features with these different cables? I can get surround when I play a DVD. However, I don't get surround when I get an HBO movie with Dolby 5.1.
Times are changing too fast for this old guy. Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6359

Normally you don't route the DVR through the DVD. They are two separate entities and each is brought into the receiver with its own connection. The DVD will not decode an external source. If the DVR doesn't have analog outputs (RCA's), you will have to update your receiver to a unit that will accept an optical signal input. However, you indicate you are getting sound from HBO, which I assume is coming through the DVR. I would contact DirectTV and ask the question of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 81
Rich, your best bet is to get a new receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS. The old Pro Logic won't cut it anymore...I recently upgraded myself after I found that my Prologic decoder only works for about half of the movies and even when they work, the Dolby Digital is so much better that it's like I'm watching these movies for the first time.

Post Number: 2
Jan-Thanks for the explanation. I ran a pair of RCAs from the second set of jacks on the Sat box directly to the receiver and got surround on an HBO movie. It sounds great.
Hank-If I understand what you are saying, Prologic Dolby 5.1 is different from some other digital modes like Dolby Digital and DTS. This means I cannot decode some of the movies that are recorded in formats that may be 5.1 but are somehow encoded differently, is that correct? In that case, what do you recommend I look for in a new receiver? Will I have to replace my receiver every 4 or 5 years now? I guess I'm a little attached to this one because it took me a couple years just to figure out how to work the remote.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 83
Rich, you basically got it right. The main difference between Prologic and DD/DTS is that the latter is digital and signals are encoded discretely for each channel. With Prologic, all signals are mixed and the decoder decides what signals go to which channel by looking at the phase differences I think. The Dolby Digital is supposed to be backward compatible to the Prologic but for some reasons I found that some movies don't sound too good with Prologic...maybe they didn't try too hard to make it backward compatible to Prologic...not sure--I'm not an expert in this area.

The reason I think Dolby Digital and DTS sounds so much better is the capability to independently output to the left and right rear surround channels. Prologic outputs the same sound to both rear channels. 10 years ago when I got my first HT receiver, Prologic is already kinda old. Nobody wants it anymore.

I have no idea how soon the current surround technology will be outdated. Your guess of 5 years is probably pretty good. I'd recommend you to get a 7.1 channel system (addition of 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers-total of 10 speakers). You need the DVDs that are encoded with Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES. These are not that popular right now but are getting more and more. You would want a receiver with HDMI inputs and outputs in addition to the expected Digital Coax, optical (Toslink) and RCA.

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 23
To Hank: you're right. Most movies today aren't really encoded in DD-EX or DTS or DTS-ES. Usually, I get lucky with special collector editions, but they are more expensive and tougher to find. Can't wait for Blu-Ray or HDDVD to come out so we have a better selection.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6387

Rich - Begin here; http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1_1/index.html

I can't vouch for all of the information since I've only glanced at the contents but this a start on understanding home theater.

Unfortunately, the marketplace has devised a way to force a product into being obsolete much faster than in the past. There is no way to guess when the next turn of technology will make everything currently on the market obsolete. But it will happen. I would disagree with Hank in terms of your needs. If your TV doesn't support HDMI, then you probably have no need for the connection type unless you are planning to update the TV in the next few years. There are plenty of components on the market which do not have HDMI nor any other connection beyond component video input/output connections. The problem with guessing which connector to go to on a receiver is the problem of guessing which connection type will be around in five years. Not that long ago, every salesperson would tell you component inputs were the best available. Component inputs were surpassed by HDMI (mostly for the convenience of running one cable instead of several).

7.1 in a small room could be overkill. The formats beyond 5.1 are once again matrixed (as opposed to discrete) rear channels. Whether they provide any real value in some systems and whether they will be around five years from now can easily be debated.

I would suggest finding a good retailer in your area who will be willing to sit down and explain where audio/video has come since your last purchase and where it is likely to go in the near future. Read up a bit before making your first visit to the shop (Dolby has an accessible site which will give you some insight into their plans) and ask plenty of questions. You are not the only person confused by the new technologies the manufacturers want us to purchase. Even the salespeople sometimes have a difficult time keeping up with the new connectors and formats. Compatibility has become more of an issue than ever before with many manufacturers wanting to inject their own twist on the process of making everything work together.

Of course, you can play movies in two channel only. Compatibility is easier and with a good system, the results are quite acceptable.

Post Number: 3
Jan - Excellent article. Thank you for that.
All - I now have everything connected except the optical cable from the satellite to the DVR. I have them connected with the coax antenna cable and with the cable that has red, yellow and white RCA connectors. I couldn't connect the optical out because the DVR has a coax audio in jack. Radio Shack has a convertor that changes optical to coax.
The problem is, I record a disk and only get 2 channel stereo, not 5.1 surround. Shouldn't the cables I have get me the 5.1 channels? And the stereo is really inferior to the surround I get with movies on CD. I am wondering if the Emerson I have is capable of writing the 5.1 channels to the disk. Any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us