Wall Mounting Worries...

Username: Toreba

Yokohama, Kanagawa Japan

Post Number: 5
Ok, I looked through all the wall mounting threads, got lots of advice and have now hung the bracket on the wall. Specs. I have Pioneer PDP-436HD, 43 inch with the standard Pioneer bracket sold in my area(which weighs 20 pounds by itself). I confirmed with the architect who built the house; The wall is good for the task.
I have the bracket attached across three studs (I think, using a stud finder) using two 5mm X 50mm wall tapping screws on each stud. If I pull on the bracket I get no movement and it feels very solid but I have come to the moment of truth....I have to put the TV on and see if it falls..I keep having nightmares that once hung, the TV will momentarily hang and then crash to the floor when I turn around or later that night I will hear a big crash and find my new TV laying on the floor in small expensive peices. To get to my question, if this thing is going to fall, are there any signs that I should look for? For example, would the screws pull out slowly or just all at once? Once I hang it I was thinking to take it down from time to time to see if there was any signs that it was about to fall, would this be a waste of time? I usually don't worry like this but I am not the best carpenter and I really love my new tv....any carpentry advice welcome (did I miss anything?)...physcological help needed but I am getting that in a different forum. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6341

If the screws gave some resistance as they were screwed all the way into the wall, you must be into solid wood. If they gave little resistance and then went int as if there were nothing to bite on, you missed.

Yokohama, Kanagawa Japan

Post Number: 6
Jan, Thanks for your reply (and other advice throughout this forum), considering that, I must have hit wood. I used a drill to get them in and even that was tough. Afterward I tried to tighten with a screwdriver and could not even get them to turn. I must be ok...Maybe just a few more screws so I can sleep at night..

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6347

The best choice is a safety wire/cable. When you are certain you have found a stud, drill a pilot hole for an eye bolt and get a good secure footing on the bolt into the stud. Use a length of airplane cable, chain or wire and secure it to the eye bolt and the back of the TV. This will give you the last measure of security should you ever need to remove the TV from the wall. The TV comes off the wall mount first and the security cable is the last to be removed after everyone has a safe hand hold on the set.

Yokohama, Kanagawa Japan

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the followup. I hung the tv up last night and it feels very solid. If it is still up when I get home from work I will take it down and see if any of the screws have moved/loosened etc. then I will see about attaching the security cable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us