Old Kenwood without SPDIF - How do I get true 5:1??

Username: Vengeanze

Post Number: 1
Hi
My first post. :-D

I recently was given an old Kenwood reciever KR V990D with Wharfedale 7 2 speakers.
I got all 5 speakers up n running. White noise test all ok.

Got the reciever hooked up with my United DVD3151 (lousy I know).
When I connect sound through RCA everything works ok but I suspect that RCA won't give me 5:1 sound.
So I saw this review:

"Firstly, this unit was produced BEFORE the era of DVDs so there's no digital audio interface (SPDIF) for DVDs, but if you still have a relatively new LaserDisc player, this might be the perfect unit for you because there's actually a coaxial digital interface for LD players."

So I ran to the shop and bought me a coaxial cable that looks like a RCA-cable but says "3C-2C 75 U Coaxial Cable" on it.
Connected my DVD to the LD Digital In port on the reciever but...nothing.
No sound whatsoever.

There's a little diod that is supposed to lit when the reciever sense a AC-3 signal (same as Dolby Digital 5:1 if I'm informed correctly) but it never lites.

I tried changing output type on the DVD from Analog to some kinda PCM.
Actually tried a zillion different settings and cables but no joy.

So anyone out there who's got experience of old pre-DVD recievers and coaxial cables??

Here's an URL to the PDF-manual for the reciever.
http://www.la-famiglia.se/OM-KR-V990D-1996-KUSA.pdf

Username: Vengeanze

Post Number: 2
*ahem* Just checked the specs for my DVD.
It says:

"Features of audio specifications
- DTS (Digital Theater System) digital audio output
- Dolby Digital 2ch output

Main Features
- DTS-compatible digital audio output.
- Audio output: Dolby Digital 2ch mixed stereo output, MPEG-II Audio output, Coaxial and Optical digital output, Linear PCM decoding output."

Guess my old reciever doesn't support DTS and my DVD doesn't have Dolby Digital 5.1 (just 2-ch stereo).

Any way around this or do I need a new DVD that supports Dolby Digital 5.1?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6330

From what you've posted here, you would do best to buy a DVD that has DD included and then get a receiver which will update all of your connections.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us