Muddy dialogue from surround setup...any thoughts?

Username: Senor123

Post Number: 1
Ok, I just started putting together my home theater setup. I started with a Panasonic TH-50XVS30 (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&st oreId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=86942&catGroupId=24973&modelNo=TH-50XVS30&sur fModel=TH-50XVS30&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702)

then added an inexpensive polk audio 5 pc surround system(http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/systems/subsatsystems/rm6750/).

I have not yet updated my receiver, but its an old Sony 5.1 surround model (about 8 years old).

My question is, when i have the surround off, i am very happy with the sound from the speakers. however, when i turn it on, i lose the dialogue/voices in the mix...its almost impossible to hear the dialogue. could this be because of my receiver? the fact that the speakers sound good to me when surround is off points to yes. any help would be appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6350

You probably need to go through the set up menu again and adjust the levels of the individual speakers. You didn't indicate what type of set up you have concerning how the 5.1 system is wired. Nor did you say whether you heard this speaker system in a shop and were convinced it would be sufficient for your needs. Without more information, it is impossible to give much more detailed advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 84
Today movies have a lot of dynamics. They want you to crank the volume way up just to hear the dialog so that when in action scenes or when they want to startle you, the house would shake with sounds...Many systems allow you to set the dynamics level- usually default is max, then normal, then low. Some even have night mode. Night mode will let you hear the dialog best without cranking up the volume. Try your setting at night or low and see if it will help. I would rather crank up the volume so I don't miss the dynamics the movie maker intended.

Unregistered guest
My rear suround speakers are getting a rather loud high pitch noise, it goes away when I turn off my DVD and my digital cable box, but I need the dvd to watch movies and the cable box to watch cable TV. Shortening or moving the speaker wire has no effect on the loud hiss, I even moved the DVD and cable box further from the receiver (7 inches away now) - noise still there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us