Only have one DVI input with two HDTV signals

Username: Cam_g

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I am currently using the DVI input on my TV for my HD Cable box. I am purchasing a DVD player today that also has a DVI output. It is a DVD player that does up conversion to 1080i. The only options that I can think of so far are using the component video or Super Video outputs on this new DVD player and connecting it into my component video or Super Video inputs on my TV.
Will I still be able to get a 1080i signal through component video or Super Video cables ?
Also will there be a noticeable difference between either of these two options and a DVI connection ?

Thanks
Cam

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 35
What brand/model DVD Player?
Most (but not all) upscaling DVD player will give 1080i thru the component video. S-video interface will not support anything but 480i.

PQ difference between component and DVI/HDMI will likely be subtle and could be overshadowed by the TV, depending on what type it is.

FYI, Gefen makes 2 input 1 output HDMI/DVI switches.

Username: Cam_g

Post Number: 2
Hi Rick, Thanks for the reply.
The DVD player is a Samsung HD-DVD913. It has The Faroudja DCDi Processing chip in it. ( I have no idea what that is but is sure sounds impressive). I will be hooking it up to a Hitachi 50VX500 LCD projection TV.

I went to the store to buy it tonight and they were out of stock. I am going to pick it up at one of their other stores on my way home from work tomorrow.

Do you think the picture quality will be over shadowed with this set up ?
I really like the idea of the HDMI/DVI switch. I am going to look into that a little further.

Thanks again,
Cam
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us