Hi-Def Hell

Jud
Unregistered guest
I'm trying to help my father hook up his new Hi-def TV (the audio out) to his pre-amp for his home stereo. The scenario is this: DVR (cable box) has 5-cord component output (3 video/2 audio cord) going into component inputs (3 video/2 audio) on back of Samsung DLP TV. The problem is, when in component mode on TV, analog audio outs on back of TV no longer work.. so no signal going to pre amp for home stereo (which is older and only has analog audio inputs (no optical/digital).. so, no audio. Yet, audio outs on TV work fine if in RF mode on TV (and with straight RF cable from wall to DVR to TV.. no components) and in Video mode on TV (when using DVD with old-fashioned yellow/red/white RCA cables).
Obviously, he wants to view picture in component mode (for true hi-def), but is unable to output audio to home stereo in this mode and is forced to use crappy TV speakers. We also tried sending the audio straight from DVR to stereo (bypassing TV). This works but has a terrible background hum AND requires him to turn his stereo on every time he wathces TV (pre-amp is in a different room but big speakers are on either side of the TV) since audio out from DVR is bypassing TV speakers. Before, with his standard RF cable hook-up, he had the option of getting sound through TV speakers AND stereo speakers at the same time or just through the TV speakers alone (if stereo was off).
The TV also has an optical digital audio out, and I assume (no help from Samsung's tech support) that the only way to output audio from the TV when in component mode would be by using this (since analog audio outs are disabled)...but Samsung didn't know the answer to this.
If this works, my main question is: is there some kind of device that would convert digital/optical audio out (from TV) to standard red/white analog audio in on the back of his home stereo pre-amp (since it has no digital inputs)? In other words, a converter with optical audio inputs and red/white analog audio outputs? I see a lot of converters on the web with the reverse (analog in/optical out) but not the kind I need. If these don't exist, I guess it's time for him to buy a new pre-amp/receiver with current, digital input/outputs.
Also, whatever scenario works (audio out from DVR to stereo or from TV to stereo).. he seems to be stuck with the hum. I realize that this has to do with the long cables/proximity of TV to stereo/lack of purely digital audio connections. Regardless of this, is there some kind of silencer/noise filter/damper that the audio out cable can go through on the way to the stereo to kill the hum?

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 62
Component video is only 3 cords, then Audio can by maybe different types of cords. What are the audio outputs on the DVR, and what are you inputing it to? If you have 2 cords I would expect that they are just the normal RCA 2 channel. You very well might have some setting on your tv when you have component video inputs. Like speakers off, speakers on/no external output, or something like that. Also with the component video input do the speakers on the tv work?

Jud
Unregistered guest
yeah.. the two audio (normal RCA) cords are bundled with the 3 component video cords-- that's what I meant by 5-cord hook up. The audio outs on the DVR are normal RCA red/white going into normal RCA on the TV... which is why it's strange that I can't then output the audio from the TV's normal RCA audio outs to the stereo when I'm in component mode on the TV. Yes, the TV speakers work in component mode.. just nothing else.
I think I looked through the options menus on the TV for "TV Speaker off" or something like that... but couldn't find anything- I'll try again next time I'm at my dad's house. But it's still strange that the audio outs (from the TV) work just fine in a straight wall-to-DVR-to-TV-RF single cable connection (RF mode on TV) or in Video mode when coming from the normal yellow/red/white RCA cords of the DVD player... without having to to disable TV speakers in a menu or something. I just can't seem to output audio in component mode when component cable is used. This is why I assumed that maybe I had to use the optical/digital audio out (from the TV) in this mode..instead of normal/RCA audio outs... but no way to test this yet (since no optical in on the stereo's pre-amp)... hence the need for some kind of adaptor.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 63
I have a feeling there are just some options on the TV that you need to choose. It could be that you need to do something TV speaker settings in component input. Or there might be something that you can switch the input that the tv is looking for from digital to analog. It should tell you in the manual.

Jud
Unregistered guest
the manual was a joke... but I'm headed up there today to triple-check everything... thanks for the help

Jud
Unregistered guest
Solved the connection problem- you were right, there was an "internal mute" option in the TV's menu. When I disabled the TV speakers, sound popped in on the stereo's speakers. This would never have occured to me since the sound came out of both TV speakers and stereo speakers in any other "mode" on the TV besides component mode.. without having to disable any internal speaker.
Anyway, now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the hum when the TV's hooked up to the stereo (I get the same hum when I hook up just the cable box straight to the stereo). It's so loud only action movies or heavy metal seem to drown it out. I get a hum just from the connection alone (stereo turned on/TV turned off). We've already tried a couple of different monster RCA cables (in case is was the cord). Does anyone know if having either optical or digital coaxial connections between the TV and stereo (pre-amp) would kill the hum? I wasn't sure if it has anything to do with the analog connection. If digital connection would solve it.. then I guess I'm getting my old man a new pre-amp for Xmas. (his current one if from the 80s). But first, I want to look for some kind of noise suppresor/sound dampener that could plug into the analog/RCA audio out line between the TV and the stereo. Does such a product exist... that actually works? We've tried the cheap route with magnets that attach to the cord... doesn't work. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us