Properly setting up system proves challenging

Unregistered guest
I have the following pieces of equipment:

Marantz SR7200 Receiver
Panasonic TH-42PD50U Plasma TV
Comcast Dual DVR recorder/cable box
Onkyo DVD Player
PS2

I want to be able to use the HD ability on my TV, so I am using a component video cable going from the TV to the receiver (the monitor out). I am using component video cables to go from the cable box to the receiver. I can see video fine from my cable box.

I am using a composite cable from the DVD player to the receiver (which is how I had it set up before I got the Plasma TV). I get no video output though. I also use a composite cable from the PS2 to the receiver and get the same video problem as with the DVD player.

The receiver has a total of 2 component video inputs and one component video output. It has 4 S-Video inputs and 4 composite video inputs.

Any ideas on how I can get video on my tv from all 3 devices (cable, dvd, ps2)?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 78
It sounds to me that your Marantz does not upconvert the video (S-video and composite) to the component video output.

I would connect the DVD component video into the receiver (since you have 2 inputs) then you will get the signal for the DVD. For the PS2, the only way short of getting another receiver, is to hook the receiver composite out into the TV composite in.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 382
Josh if you were to connect your TV to the Marantz using the composit cable do you get signal from the xbox and the DVD player? That would tell you if the upconversion is the problem.

However my suspecion is that you don't have your connection setup right in the OSD menu. This unit should upconvert.

Why are you using a composit from to go from the DVD to the receiver? Doesn't it have any other connections?

Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 7
You are not going to get a progressive signal from the composite output of your DVD so you will not be getting the best picture possible out of your monitor.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us