Monitor Audio Silver with Parasound

Bronze Member
Username: Tchartrey

Post Number: 17
I want to start upgrading to seperates and have my eye on the Parasoud HALO C1 and the A51 amp. My question is I currently have MA's S6 for fronts S1 for rear and the silver center, currently being pushed by a Denon 3805, is the 250 wpc that the A51 puts out too much for the Silvers to handle. Should I upgrade my speakers first or will they be able to perform for a while for me to save for better speakers? S6 rated at 120wpc and the others I believe at 80 wpc. Currently I have the fronts bi-amped with the two extra channels from the 3805 and they seem to be holding up fine. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Any speaker recommendations to go with the HALO for around 3-4k for a 5.1 setup?

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
The amplifier should be able to drive your speakers properly without problems as long as you don't allow preamp levels that may get the amp to push out power exceeding the RMS rating of the speakers on a consistent basis or the peak wattage rating on brief and infrequent dynamic sounds (like cannon fire sounds from the 1812 Overture).

And, remember, most of the speaker power is used to run the bass as opposed to the midrange and treble.

But, a rule of thumb would be to get speakers that have RMS wattage ratings equal to or above the peak output of the amplifier. But, don't forget to get speakers that not only handle wattage, but also has good efficiency.

BTW, what are the impedance ratings for both the amplifier and the speakers?

And, with these points said, never buy white van speakers. The drivers in those things would likely catch fire rather easily if driven to high volumes by your choice of amplifier, despite their dubious wattage ratings. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us