Bi-amping Denon 3805 Digital out

Bronze Member
Username: Tchartrey

Post Number: 14
I Bi-amped my 3805 using the zone 3 but now my receiver is not reading my digital out from my DVD player. Is there something I need to change or did I do it incorrectly. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6269

Temporarily undo the bi-amp set up to make sure that is the problem. I don't know the Denon, but there is no particular reason I can think of that the connection from the speaker outs and zone outs should affect the digital input. If there is a reason for this to be related, it is likely to be in the zone prioritization and I would check that area first in the owner's manual.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Okay, I don't think it is my digital out, I tried my Gladitor DVD and the Dolby Digital is working, however, it did not work on a previous DVD and when I tried to switch the audio selection to DTS it is not reconizig that signal either. The DTS function used to work before I bi-amped these speakers. Thank you for the initial reply, I may just have to switch it back to a standard connection.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6273

How did you make the connection to bi-amp from the zone three output?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I ran an stereo cable from the front speaker pre-out to the vdp input then connected the lows to the 3rd zone speaker output and the highs to the original front speaker output, basically I followed the directions of this link.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review04.php

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6280

On page 4; "Zone 2/3 does not allow digital sources to be output on its analogue preamp outputs." Could this possibly be the source of the problem you are having?

You get to do what you want with your equipment, but the idea of running a pre out to a line level input is a bit "unusual" to me. Impedance and sensitvity and all that "electrical" matching stuff, you know. Additonally, putting 120 watts into the high level portion of a speaker is typically a bit of over kill, if we're talking two way systems particularly. With no separation of ground paths between the various amplifiers this wouldn't appear to be off any real significant value. Finally, the idea that you are a "real" audiophile if you trust your ears enough to adjust the level of low frequencies to upper range frequencies independently, is really more than I care to swallow.

However, as I said, you get to do whatever you want with your equipment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I do really appreciate your help and what you say makes sense. I have only really been into this for about a year so I still have alot to learn. I think that I am just going to switch it back to the original way I had it.

One more question. I posted the question regarding matching a 250wpc parasound HALO amp with my current speakers that are rated much less. I want to move into seperates and I cannot afford to upgrade all the equiptment at the same time. If you don't mind can you take a look at the post and offer any suggestions? Again I do appreciate your help!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6298

How about a link to that thread so I don't have to search the forum for your post?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Right here, thanks.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/170134.html

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6318

I posted a reply on that thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums