Multi-Channel, Dolby Pro Logic II, Neo, DTS ARGHHH

Username: Jlpicard

Barnesville, OH United States

Post Number: 1
I have all the above available on my Amp. I sorta understand what everything does for me except for Multi-Channel. What is it and what kind of advantage can I gain from using it. My DVD player has the outputs to support it too.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 69
What brand is your amp? Multi-channel is usually the term to describe your input source that is more than stereo (2 channel).

When used in context of a DSP mode, and if your amp is a Yamaha, I'd say that is the mode that audio is output to all speakers at once (in my case all 10 speakers). Surprisingly it sounds very good for music

Username: Jlpicard

Barnesville, OH United States

Post Number: 2
Has to do with the 6 outputs I have from my DVD to my Amp. Fronts Center Subwoofer and Surrounds. Think it is an analog output too.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 70
Oh that multi-channel...sorry I missed that. Many higher end receivers have these. When you connect to these multi-channel inputs, you are basically using the receiver simply as a 6 channel amplifiers, bypassing all of the receivers digital processing modes (such as DD, DTS, etc.).

You usually do this when your source (eg. DVD) has better surround sound processors than your receiver's. The drawback of using this multi channel input feature is when you use headphones, you will only hear the front L/R.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6249

Put each term into a search engine and you will get a series of descriptions for each term. Put "audio glossary" into a search engine and you will have more answers.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us